The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Smog issue - high HC at idle

mk2davis

Many of you have been following my progress, and I appreciate all the help. Today I failed my CA smog test with the following numbers

RPM %CO2 %O2 HC Max HC Meas CO Max CO Meas
Idle 8.0 9.3 120 280 1.00 .14
2500 15.0 .3 140 48 1.00 .17

So at 2500 rpm I'm golden. Idle though.... not good. Smog guy wants me to get a new cat. Before I put down a small pile of money, does anyone else have any suggestions? When I put the new motor in, I replaced all my vacuum lines and torqued down all my IM hardware.

No CEL, car runs really well now that I've replaced my knock sensor. Exhaust does kinda smell "eggy".

All help is appreciated.

idreamidrive

Someone with more knowledge should probably chime in, but the high HC is due to unburnt fuel. Is your ignition timing set correctly? ( There is a correct way in doing it.) Plugs fouled up? Leaky injector(s)? That is all I can think of at the moment.

gvr4ever

Do a boost leak test too.

When I passed in IL (I realize not as strict) I ran the tank low, put a few gallons of 89 octane in, lowered the boost and got the cat as hot as I could before the test.

BTW, I ran a 2.5" high flow cat too, not stock

Might want to make sure a previous owner didn't install a EGR plate or something.

transparentdsm

I had this issue when I snogged my Laser a few years back in Tahoe and as stated above check base timing, my issue was from being at like 8-10* timing, i set it to 5* and passed. The guy at the smog station was blown away with how low my numbers were after the timing was corrected.

mk2davis

So I had the cat replaced for 250 including labor, which where I live is a steal. The numbers are now in the single digits and I am totally street legal!

Yet, I can't shake the idea that maybe the new cat is hiding some dirty little secret. The base timing was set correctly by grounding out the connector. But that was before I sent the ECU off to be inspected. Just to be on the safe side, I'll recheck that. The plugs are new, as are the wires. The air filter is clean. The injectors were recently serviced by RC.

Eztoril

I might get heat for this suggestion but you can run a gallon of denatured alcohol with a 1/4 tank of gas and it will most likely pass. I've done this method in my m3 for years and passed ca smog no problem. Just make sure you fill it up with 93 after the test to dilute what's left in the tank. Fresh oil change helps too. Or obviously fix the problem whatever it might be. I also think the base timing would be a good place to start troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts