The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

She runs, but the valves... RESOLVED

mk2davis

She has a reman'ed long block, and runs quite happily (for a total of maybe 20 seconds at idle), but the valvetrain are terribly loud. Being a fresh build, there is no residual oil. IIRC, the valves are hydraulic and self adjusting. Is this just a case of the valves haven't had time to adjust? I'm running cheap dyno oil for the first 100-200 miles for break in. I'm a big fan of Lucas, but don't want to disguise the symptom.

Any and all help appreciated.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

If it's the small port lifters, they just make noise. I have 2g lifters in my 1g and it still clicks. You need to get zero tick lifters if they aren't already installed.

Also yes hydro and self adjusting, but they may just need to be primed.

Last edited:

mk2davis

They are the stock lifters, and they've always made noise. This is like an orchestra vs a solo player. So I believe you are right, it seems like they need to be primed. Are they self priming, or is this something I was supposed to do already (and what is it that I need to do)?

transparentdsm

click something you should have done while motor was apart.

youll probably want to pick up one of these to not have to remove the whole timing or the camshafts. click video of how to use it click

what they dont mention in the tool video is you have to rotate the timing belt while you do it to put the top of the cam lobe as far away from the rocker roller as possible so the rocker comes out the easiest.

Last edited:

mk2davis

The long block came as a unit with the cams, valves, and lifters installed. This let me to believe everything was ready to go. And they are getting quieter as it runs, but they are by no means quiet.

mk2davis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Seems like every time I turned the car off and let it cool down, when it restarted it would be quieter. I wish I had a better story, but beyond asking nicely, I didn't do nothing!

transparentdsm

So the lifters naturally filled and quieted down, nice. They more then likely just weren't primed after the engine rebuild, unfortunately its common unless you have someone who knows these motors do it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts