The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ADJUSTABLE STEERING ON 90 TO 92 GALANTS

BLUELIGHTSBABY

I need some help/advice concerning the adjustable steering that was found on some early model galants. There is a button in the center console next to the transmission econo button. I want to know what part are used to make the steering more firm in the early galants that had that option.

Is it the rack and pinion, power steering pump, and some other computer in galants that makes the steering fuction more firm when the button is pressed. I'm looking to do a transplant into my VR4 and want to know what parts are used on the early galants.

Thanks

fuel

It is only available on the FWD Galants and the button operates a solenoid on the steering rack that modulates the assistance from the power steering pump. As far as I know, everything else in the system including the pump, tie rod ends etc are all the same - it is just the rack itself which is different. Keep in mind that at 30 years old now, finding an operating variable assist rack would be hard - many have failed and have been swapped out in favour of regular racks.

there is also an electronic module near the radio that modulates the solenoid pressure, and therefore the steering effort, according to the car speed. I don't know where the module gets the speed input from though.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Great, Thank you. If anyone can provide any more information, that would be great. I don't have a wiring diagram, so I'm not sure where the module is exactly and where it gets it's imputs from. There is also the switch in the center console to consider.

Thanks for any additional help.

RLKELLY

This link should have the information on the schematics and location of the components. click

Same information on GALANT VR-4.ORG site. click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts