The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about Thermostat AC Switch

akujiki1987

Ok so my AC has not blown cold since I got the car in March. Havent driven it more than three times due to things needing to be fixed. I was under the hood the other day poking around with a potential buyer when we noticed the AC switch sensor on the thermostat housing wire had broken off. He had only mentioned if he picks up the car hes redoing all the wiring anyway, but I was curious if this switch has anything to do with the AC only blowing regular air or if its related to anything else. As I dont know if hes going to pick the car up so If I end up keeping it I will add it to the list of to do when its tax season.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I believe that is the AC cutout switch that stops the clutch signal to the AC compressor when your Coolant reaches a set point. If it is not connected, I suspect it will make no difference.
If you confirm there is charge in your system via a set of gauges, then you have a start.
If the AC compressor relay engages, but the clutch does not, you can do the old screwdriver trick to confirm you have magnetism at the clutch wheel - if you do this with the engine off, it should work by jumping the relay, saves getting a screwdriver through back into the belts if you don't know what you are doing.
Start with the relay engaging or not, and see if it can engage the clutch, as this can all be done without knowing what charge is in the system.
Then move forward.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts