The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Axle with 5-lug conversion question

HadesOmega

So I was working on the suspension on 1373 and I noticed the inboard cv boot is wet with grease, I didn't find a hole but it must be coming from somewhere but not really bad.

My car is kind of a frankenstein car, the previous owner installed 3000GT suspension to do the 5 lug conversion so I'm not sure if he used a different axle. Anyway just want to make sure, the question is are all the CV axles compatible on the Galant VR4? As in if someone had done a 5 lug conversion on this car can I just go to autozone and tell the parts person I need a cv axle for a Galant VR4 it would fit no problem.

Another question is if I tilt the car enough with a jack can I get away with not having to drain the transmission fluid when installing a new axle?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
On the draining, the answer is "maybe". Depending on fill level, etc. I usually try to have a plug ready to stick in quickly. Last car I did (not a VR4) did not leak any when I did it. It was level on a lift.

For the axles, with the 3kGT thrown in the mix, if a different axle has been used, all bets may be off. Otherwise, all front axles for AWD (manual trans) are the same for GVR4 and 1g, so the Autozone gambit should be ok if their catalog is correct.

transparentdsm

With it not being a completely tirn boot, id consoder just replacing the boot on your current axles. If you can do it its cheap and effective. I rebuild axles all the time for my cars.

HadesOmega

hmm yeah I might do that like you said there's nothing wrong with it yet. From what I hear if it's not doing any clicking it should be ok. I had a bad experience with a MR2 axle I was changing the boot on, the balls fell out of it and it was a major pain in the ass to put back together, but that was the outboard cv.

The axle is only about $60 from autozone though...

transparentdsm

im all for a new axles, my point being if you don't know if the axle with be a direct swap, once its installed they might not take the return. at least with the boot you can take measurements in the car and get the proper boot before even starting your project, if its not clicking and the axles have the OEM green cups id def try to replace the boot first.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts