The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

steering rack

kooter

I got one from lee auto parts like 6 years ago for like 400 bucks. is actually still sitting in the box in my garage.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Rrohde84:
anyone know where to buy a new/reman steering rack.

Are you looking to keep the 4WS?

Rrohde84

I would like to. at this point I would like to get the car on the road to figure out my drivability problem

kooter

I would sell it for what I paid for it
was 400 something dollars, I would take 400

2243881517 text me

tyeler18

Rockauto doesnt have any 4ws racks. Ive been waiting 15 months for one to show up. Last month I had a local shop rebuild mine for $189 with lifetime warranty. I can get you their contact info if you want. The OE rebuild kit is $180 alone. They quoted me $189 and stuck with that price.

boostme

Post it up for anyone looking.

Another option

Detroit axle is another one $164.24 and they give you a shipping label for the return

click

idreamidrive

I just had Jorgen rebuild my rack, but it was more expensive than what other people are quoting here. Jorgen is in Ann Arbor, MI and there phone number is 800.333.0600

On a side note, I tried to rebuild it myself (Rock Auto kit as I was told there are no more in the USA from Mitsubishi), it was pissing fluid out the driver's side inner tie rod, and once rebuilt by me, it still did it. They fixed it and it has been leak free for the last couple months.
I ended up buying a spare rack while they were rebuilding mine. Apparently I like having spare parts for my car.

Rrohde84

rock auto sent me a 2 wheel steering rack instead of 4ws rack. if I cant find a 4ws rack is it possible to use that 2ws rack

Either loop the pump lines or remove pump and use a block off plate over hole in diff.

fuel

^^ it's an inch or two wider.

Rrohde84

what if you switch the inner tie rods. or is the body of the rack wider. not sure if you can just switch out the inner and outer tie rods

belize1334

Quoting fuel:
^^ it's an inch or two wider.

I wonder if it might work anyway. I always found that the outer tie-rod ends only threaded a few turns onto the inner tie-rods anyway. An extra half inch on either side could be a good thing. What's the steering ratio on a 3si rack?

Edit: According to the internet , a fwd 3si has a steering ratio of 16.9:1, which is a slight improvement over our stock ratio. The AWD is supposedly a little quicker still, (I saw 10% quoted but I can't find an exact value). Also, for the sake of all-wheel-steering, the AWD 3000gt came with it but the AWD Stealth did not.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts