The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello, early JDM ECU question

Hi, I just picked up a '88 JDM VR4 and want to do some mods to it (16g, 560's, etc) but obviously since it has the early dual board ECU I cannot do ECMLINK on it. Is my only option going standalone? (Like the plug and play Haltech). I have an SAFC for it, but have heard horror stories of them destroying engines, etc. Is there a more reliable piggyback option?

It already has a 3" turbo back, Profec B EBC, walbro with rewire, intake, FMIC and wideband.

fuel

As above you can swap in a USDM 91/92 ECU however you will lose the ability to control the Cyclone actuation system, unless you can reconfigure the EGR/Evap? solenoid output in DSMLink.

Better yet - you could just find the MD165808 ECU from the 90+ JDM Evolution Galant VR-4 that has a 16G turbo and 510cc injectors from factory, however you would need to find the matching MAF as it is different from the non-Evolution VR-4s. You would also have to swap a couple of pins around to go from the pre-facelift wiring config to the facelift wiring config (change happened in October '89 production date for JDM models, and from 90 to 91 model years in the US).

Great, thanks for all the info! I think the jdm ecu would be preferable if I can find that specific maf which might be an issue haha.

tektic

Honestly a plug and play standalone is about $700. Talk to Nate at performance part out about the one he uses. Hes very happy with it. Just thinking about trying to get 30 year old JDM parts in this country to work in ways they weren't supposed to is making me cringe.

fuel

The one you want is MD171249

G

Staff member
Fuel does halltech or motec make plug and play unit that will control the cyclone? Been thinking about going to a stand alone.

So can somebody break it down newbie style to me on how to do a 91-newer ECU.
-what pins on the harness need to be switched?
-I have read that you can set the cyclone actuation within the ECM link software as something to do with the EGR program?
-I will need a 91+ socketed ECU set up for ECM link, is that it?

I would really like to go with the evo0 ECU/MAF, injectors and turbo, I can find the ECU for sale, but I cannot find the MAF used and a new one is over $700 shipped from Japan.

MX4

A better option than the Evo 0 AFM is one from an Lancer Evo 1/2/3 or 2G DSM. Combine this with 510cc (or larger injectors) and a chip and you would be away. You would need a chippable ECU such as the MD165808. An older dual board, such as the MD128618 are not able to be chipped for the larger injectors or different AFM.

Good call! So I would just need:
"609" maf
1g to 2g maf adapter harness
"808" or similar ECU, then get it socketed for ECMLINK (what pins need switched on the ECU harness from my early dual board?)
510 or 560 EVO injectors

And then of course take it to get a live tune on a dyno.

Am I missing anything?

AllanL

you would need to get the 5808 ECU first.

the other parts will depend on the availability of the 'tuneable' ECU...

pins 6 and 14 need to be swapped when switching to later than the 8618 ECU.

Thank you so much for that info!
There are actually 2 of those ECU's on eBay as we speak, my wife is going to be a little mad at me lol.

MX4

Also MD150427 or MD153695 will also work, as long as they are the Eprom version of the ECU. A quick was to check is if there is a single "E" on the part number sticker rather than an "A" which is a non-Eprom version.

MX4

Also you dont need to go to ECMLink if you want just a basic setup. A chip can be written for the different AFM and injector. Obviously you would get the tune-ability and other features with ECM though.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
According to my records you have this ECU: "128618 1988 GVR4 JDM MT E39A E2T33372 E657 J-Spec Dual Board Eprom/Non Eprom - 195hp"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts