The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which radiator?

4dr_vr4

It is time to replace my stocker and I'd like to replace it with an aluminum one. I have a 1g mishimoto laying around along with a 1g parts car to pull the thermo housing from.

I'd also like to keep my A/C. I have read the posts here on how to make the swap. Is there another better option that is aluminum and will allow me to keep my a/c or would you just use the 1g mishimoto and call it a day?

Being that the 1g is a bit shorter than the stock, I don't want worse cooling than I started off with. Would seem foolish.

Also, is there any all aluminum radiator out there that just bolts in and has the appropriate sensor bung at the bottom and has the correct fan mounts? I have enough stuff to tap and mount.

Thanks

Last edited:

gvr4144

If you go the 1g route you pretty much have to delete your ac, use the 1g fans and thermostat housing. With that you gain alot of room and your coolant fill point is a bit higher at the head. Also any stock replacement you find will be aluminum and much lighter.

Eztoril

I did a simple Google search and found this one at Amazon. Looks like it has the place for the fan switch at the bottom. I think it checks all the boxes for what you were looking for? I will try this one when I get to that point.

web page

Last edited:

4dr_vr4

Thanks guys. You have to delete your AC to go the 1g route? Are you sure. I won't go without A/C.

The Amazon radiator looks like it has the bung but I am worried about fan spacing. That radiator is also sold on ebay and not sure if they are all the same but a quick search seems to show people having a hell of a time with Ebay GVR-4 radiators.

Eztoril

Is it the holes for mounting the fan or something else about the fan? I use a slim spal fan and had to be creative to mount it. I couldn't imagine it would be that big of a hurdle to overcome? If you get it please do a review of it, if they made it a direct fit?

Looks like "vman911" got it to fit with slight modification. At least you can keep your ac using this one.

Thanks

Last edited:

4dr_vr4

Unsure, but good find on that thread. So what is it that makes you lose A/C by using a 1g radiator? Does it have something to do with that connector on the thermostat housing for the GVR4? If so, previous owner left that harness disconnected and AC works fine.

bobbybdemented

I have found out that a radiator from a EVO 3 will fit the Galant VR4 with very little mod. I had to add spacers to lift the radiator about a 1/2 a inch. I used hose that I slipped over the mount. Easy and works great!

Here is a link to the one I bought on Ebay. Pretty good quality for the Price.
click

Picture of mine installed with a Spal fan.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts