The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recommendations for "Refreshing" engine?

akujiki1987

Hey guys, so as you may have seen I recently picked up 979/1000. As stated in that, it has 23x,xxx on the body, and the prior owner said the prior prior(blah blah) owners replaced the engine at I believe 160k. How true this is I dont know, obviously as it sets i wouldn't know how to verify that claim. Anyway, plan is to get the timing componants all swapped out, T belt, BS Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner, etc. But while this is being done, what else should I look for or have done? My uncle will be replacing the ECU capacitors this weekend pending time allows, so that will be a peace of mind thing. Ill probably be changing out the trans and all those oils as well(feels pretty "notchy" shifting). Supposedly from an old post on here from a prior owner its supposed to have a "stage II TRE tranny". But again who knows. I do know the clutch feels like a performance clutch, its more of an on off switch. There's also somewhat of a "clunk" from the rear end when shifting sometimes so thats something else II need to research. Its also only boosting 8lbs, which if i am correct is under stock? Ill attach a couple engine pics though I doubt it will show anything. Sorry for the rant guys! Any advice from you VR4 gurus would be much appreciated.

transparentdsm

Before anything do a leak down test. That will tell you some what of the motors condition and if you need to replace pistons/rings. I would def do valve stem seals, a head gasket, resurface head, some arp head studs and all new gaskets, seals and hoses for the cooling system, the vacuum/boost system and anything that comes in contact with oil. The clunk you hear, be more descriptive, is it under Excel, decel, cruising? More then likely it's the driveshaft.

Also do a boost leak test, i'm sure you have a few vacuum leaks in there and the exhaust manifold being in covered is not helping that soft and probably brittle imtercooler pipe that is going over the top of it.

Last edited:

akujiki1987

Will do, Ill probably take it over to my grandpas house tomorrow and pull it over his pit(he has a pit he built for working on cars) to check everything out underneath it. Is there a go to place for getting driveshafts rebuilt? Or just find someone local?

transparentdsm

i also just noticed, you have extra drill holes in your strut towers, so if you ever decide to upgrade your suspension the front is already set up for EVO8/9 front top hats, then you need 2mm shims on each side of the knuckle and 3sx actually makes an adapter for the bottom of the rears. super easy and relatively inexpensive, amazing upgrade for the car. i have personally had them myself and if it weren't for the decision to use coilovers i would still be running the EVO8 MR bilstiens and swift lowering springs.

akujiki1987

Awesome! thanks for the tip! Suspension will be on my list after I get it to where I feel safe driving it. I did try to start it today and noticed the battery was dead. I believe due to the radio, as it is not set up right and I guess turns on and off when it wants, and I also believe this is part of the culprit as well as when I got in this was on. I am not sure what it is as it just seems to flash random numbers. I THINK its part of the after market hands free set(notice the little mic on steering wheel) but not positive. Any ideads?

transparentdsm

i think i have an idea of what it may be, but i could be wrong, what does it max out to? .999 ? im thinking its an old school narrowband gauge that reads 0-1 volts. if you look under the passenger side glove box there is a gold box with a wiring harness attached, there should be a free wire attached to the clump of wires with a a single male spade connector, that would have a wire attached to it and feeding that little box... again i could be wrong.

my buddy had a remote start in his car for like 4 years and 1 day it decided that it was going to start to drain his battery nightly. i removed it and the car hasn't had a charging issue since.

here is a picture, best i could find.

img.php

akujiki1987

Thanks for the tip, I will see if I can get my fat head under there tonight and take a peak. Im not sure what the numbers max at, I just see it hop around while driving. The guy I got the car from though maybe it was A/F meter but wasnt sure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts