The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Device bolted on intake Mano near coilpack

Nebraska

So I took the car out, running great as usual. On a pull the car died and everything ignition powered was de-energized quicker than I could blink. Surprise! IGN fuse was blown under the hood. Since I was down the street I popped in the cooling fan fuse, and when I turned the key to IGN I noticed some arcing near the coil.
It’s a small 1 wire device that in cylindrical and maybe about half an inch long. Anyways, an ignition coded wire had popped out of the pin holder in the connector. What the heck is this?

Can post pics tomorrow but at work right now.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think you are talking about the noise condenser (capacitor).

Nebraska

Interesting, I never noticed this before. That seems to be it. What is it for or how does it work?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Hyundai was still using this concept a few years back as evidenced when I pulled off electronics from a yard motor being installed on a 2010 Sante Fe, and it had the same values as the condensor setup on the 1G coil pack bracket.

thomcasey

Well, it is supposed to be grounded (normally bolted to the IM) It is possible it was arching when it reached a potential ground if it was disconnected.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
True what Thom said. If I recall correctly, it is bolted to the manifold with the plastic wire holder for the injector harness. If someone bolted it on top of the plastic instead of beneath, it may not be grounded properly.

Nebraska

It appears the noise condenser is mounted correctly. The arcing was caused by an ignition wire bouncing off the intake manifold (shorting out.) Thanks for the reply’s guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts