The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need DSM mechanic near chicagoland

I having an eletrical/charging system issue (no dash lights). Had to leave the jump box on the car last night to make it home. Looks like no HIN today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
It seems like the alternator is putting out volts not sure about amps. Would appreciate any help

rgeier11

Remove the alternator and take it to autozone for testing. If you can not perform this task, post your car for sale.

mooserage

Staff member
Hmm, I'm not sure you'll need to sell your car, but you should start with checking the alternator. There are FSMs available if you need how-to help on removing the alternator. You can also search your symptoms on the board and will find similar threads with these types of issues and how people resolved them.

The alternators on these cars often overheat due to proximity to the turbo, and wear prematurely. So it's the best place to start in your case. Good luck!

Last edited:
There's a whole story behind the issue. But I literally would have to type a story. On a more recent note, Friday night I pulled it out the garage no prob. Went a hr later to start, click nothing (no crank no start) Put the jumper box, starts no prob. Go for drive, only lasted 5-10 mins. Car literally just shuts off and dies. Then the whole part from 1st post with driving back with the jumper box on.

Unforunately for me 2 autozone's in my area - their alternator testers don't work. That's why I haven't removed it for testing.
But they told me the battery is good (12.83v), if battery is good why no cranking?
I've had the car 4 months, battery that originally came with it was 4 yrs old was replaced recently after a no start one night in the garage. Autozone said battery was no good
The car used to start up from time to time no problem, after I initially started driving the car after it got delivered off the truck.
So when I first got the car, I figured battery was weak from sitting. I've never had the charging systems checked since it started everytime after that.

This is my 1st 4g63 so with the car being a 87' JDM I don't know what to expect with the alternator,
I can turn a wrench just don't wanna waste my time.

thomcasey

87?? Pretty sure 88 was the first year JDM Galants were produced. On the no crank note, sounds like bad grounds. Test and replace.

fuel

No, the first JDM's were assembled mid way though 1987 and sold as 1987 models. Everywhere else around the world the model year of the car is the year the car was manufactured/first registered. In the US, the model year is the year ahead of when the car was actually made, because I dunno... America?

fuel

Quoting mscatchell:
There's a whole story behind the issue. But I literally would have to type a story. On a more recent note, Friday night I pulled it out the garage no prob. Went a hr later to start, click nothing (no crank no start) Put the jumper box, starts no prob. Go for drive, only lasted 5-10 mins. Car literally just shuts off and dies. Then the whole part from 1st post with driving back with the jumper box on.

Unforunately for me 2 autozone's in my area - their alternator testers don't work. That's why I haven't removed it for testing.
But they told me the battery is good (12.83v), if battery is good why no cranking?
I've had the car 4 months, battery that originally came with it was 4 yrs old was replaced recently after a no start one night in the garage. Autozone said battery was no good
The car used to start up from time to time no problem, after I initially started driving the car after it got delivered off the truck.
So when I first got the car, I figured battery was weak from sitting. I've never had the charging systems checked since it started everytime after that.

This is my 1st 4g63 so with the car being a 87' JDM I don't know what to expect with the alternator,
I can turn a wrench just don't wanna waste my time.

If you have a Galant VR-4, especially a JDM Galant VR-4 then your car is a MMC. It is not a DSM in any shape or form.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting thomcasey:
87?? Pretty sure 88 was the first year JDM Galants were produced. On the no crank note, sounds like bad grounds. Test and replace.

Along with this, check the cables for corrosion. I can crawl up inside the insulation. Wire can't move enough current to turn the starter.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll get the charging system checked. I'll also check the ground wires for corrosion, I noticed the clock and radio reset after it died while driving and when it went click dead in the driveway.

thomcasey

Yup, Mine did that. I replaced every ground wire outside of the ECU harness and fixed the issue.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts