The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Awd clutch in nt fwd trans

tektic

I'm putting together a nt eclipse I just bought and would like to throw in a lightweight flywheel I have for an awd. I've seen people say it is the same size ring gear and it will work. Then I've seen other people say it doesn't fit in the bell housing because it's too tall. Has anyone done this successfully?

I just measured the two bell housings and couldn't find any where the nt was narrower than an awd trans. The ring gears are the same distance from the block and the distance between the teeth and end of the pressure plate is the same. I don't see why it won't work.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The AWD flywheel is smaller in diameter than the FWD, thus the ring gear is too. The FWD will not fit in an AWD trans bell housing (my experience), so you may be ok the way you are planning. You will likely need the AWD starter mount plate to locate the starter properly due to the diameter difference. Again, my personal experience when I put an FWD engine into AWD application.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Did they use a different starter on the NT for any reason? As long as the starter teeth are the same number, it sounds like you measured everything.

Don't have a solid answer to your question, but from the measuring you already did, it sounds safe to try.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
All starters are the same for this purpose. It is the spacer plate that clocks it. Comparing only standard trans starters, automatic have a different plunge depth and are incompatible in this regard.

I did some sleuthing, to prove my point.

Enjoy .... all starter.

click

tektic

I know the fwd turbo flywheel is bigger. I also know the nonturbo flywheel is not stepped.

So with a awd starter plate (if they are different), there shouldn't be any reason the clutch shouldn't work.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The plates are different. I have them both.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Thinking back on it, not 100% sure, but I believe turbo. The engine was a turbo and the plate was on it. I didn't know about the flywheel difference, but found out when trying to put the trans on that it wouldn't fit over the FWD flywheel. It was at that point I changed the flywheel and engine starter plate to AWD stuff with no futher issues.

tektic

Yes the turbo fwd flywheel is definitely larger.

I'm hoping for info on the nonturbo trans. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to assemble everything to test it before I buy new parts. Was just hoping I could be saved the trouble with positive confirmation. Everything is covered with gobs and gobs of oil.

thomcasey

Yea, Turbo FWD transmission is 110 teeth on the ring gear. AWD Turbo is 106 teeth

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What trans model number do you have?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
According to CAPS:

Starter plate for D22 NT M/T and D27 M/T is the same: MD030141

Thus flywheel diameter is likely the same. Do you have the NT flywheel to compare diameter? You suggest so in your first post.

Are you worried about the clutch height with the step being too deep into the NT trans?

Sorry if we have run all around the issue, but I for one was not thinking NT only when initially answering. I have never owned an NT 1g.

thomcasey

You just gotta make sure you match the PP to the flywheel. If you plan on using a turbo flywheel, you will need the turbo PP, and visa versa.

tektic

The same. That's what I figured. I don't know why I didn't look that up. I just figured I would have found someone who actually did it. Everything seems in order. I'm going to go ahead and have that flywheel surfaced and give it a go. Thanks you guys.

Edit: a guy from the tuner site says he's tried it and it doesn't work. That the clutch assembly is too big. I'm going to have to assemble and test fit it when I get my awd trans off my bench.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
A KM210 and F5M33 trans will have no issues with any matched set Mitsubishi type flywheel/pressure plate/clutch. All the Colt C53A turbo cars came with a KM210, and I have successfully run the stock FWD 215mm flat flywheel/clutch/pressure plate and the FWD DSM 225mm stepped flywheel and matching ACT clutch in both bell housings.

KM210 FWD transmission (Colt C53A)
C53A stock turbo 215mm flat flywheel
C53A stock turbo 215mm clutch and pressure plate

KM210 FWD transmission (Colt C53A)
MB1-HDSS ACT 2100 clutch and pressure plate
Fidanza FWD DSM aluminum flywheel with removable friction insert 8.2 lbs # 161651

and

MD995656 FWD 1991-92 F5M33-2-SPZV (FWD DSM)
MB1-HDSS ACT 2100 clutch and pressure plate
Fidanza FWD DSM aluminum flywheel with removable friction insert 8.2 lbs # 161651

All setups used the same stock C53A KM210 starter plate for obvious reasons.

Now, I say this to prove a point but also to illustrate that you could be using the KM206 or similar 5 speed transmission. Those tranmissions were mated to 1.6L NA motors, and likely others, but I don't know if they have larger or smaller bell housings, to be able to accommodate larger flywheel setups like the FWD DSM flywheel.

Last edited:

tektic

Kf5m222vpzv is the trans from the nt eclipse. I don't imagine it's smaller.

tektic

So close yet:

When bolted together the clutch hits this hump where the little white triangle is in the picture.

Going to open my gst trans to inspect that and will add an awd 5th gear while I'm in there. Hope the gearing doesn't feel too slow in nt form.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned