The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Subframe Question

Nebraska

I'm in the process of cleaning up my rear subframe and have it out of the car. I'm curious as to what bushing I have to replace so that when 4ws is removed the trailing arms have no chance of moving as some say the rear end can feel "loose" without the tie rods connected.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
AT the front end of the trailing are there is the bushing that bolts it to the crossmember. Where that attaches into the trailing arm is where the passive toe movement occurs.

Nebraska

Okay thank you! So are the gvr4 and dsm bushings the same? Or is there a way to Eliminate the passive rear toe? Standing in front of these subframes the 4ws junk seems to be the only difference. Can anyone verify this?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, the 4WS is the only difference.

gtluke

Quoting Nebraska:
Okay thank you! So are the gvr4 and dsm bushings the same? Or is there a way to Eliminate the passive rear toe? Standing in front of these subframes the 4ws junk seems to be the only difference. Can anyone verify this?

exactly the same.
I removed the rubber on mine and welded in washers so it's completely stiff.
However, this is a slight compromise on how the suspension could work, and there is or was someone selling metal bushings/joints so it allows the trailing arm to make the slight movements that it needs to during it's travel.
For 99% of us, just welding in a washer/plate is fine.

Last edited:

Nebraska

Thanks for the input everybody, it is much appreciated!

Nebraska

Have a bitch of a time releasing the upper control arm at the ball joint and the bushing side. The camber adjustment bolt turns but won't come out even with a dead blow. DOES ANYONE HAVE A TRICK UP THEIR SLEEVE?

gtluke

I had to cut mine out and buy new bolts. They are frozen to the sleeve inside the bushing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts