The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

noob here! what to look for...

Angry_Italian

heya VR-4 people,
I am looking at a 92 VR-4 this weekend and have been looking for a long time.
What should I be looking for? what would be a "deal breaker" issue?
I'm looking at 448/1000.

forgive me if this is listed somewhere, i just recently found this site and haven't torn though it completely yet.

G

Staff member
Rust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
G refers to what is usually found in the lower contact points of the rear of the front fenders behind the dog leg type trim, right in the wheel well. Lots of muck gets trapped down there and it rots that spot.

Other than that, check for frame integrity of the floor pan, rear subframe assembly, and general cleanliness of all bolt hardware on the suspension. This will help determine how hard it is to tear things apart should they ever need to be.
Door bottom seams, trunk seams, hood seems and windshield edging are the next spots of interest, including around the sunroof location should it be equipped.

If in good enough condition for your purposes, consider the condition of the engine and the proper shifting of the transmission and lack of noises from the center diff assembly and rear driveshaft/rear pumpkin. All of which is correctable, but would make for wiggle room on the purchase price of the car.

Hopefully it is a worthy example of a GVR4, for your sake, but be aware of sketchy looking mods and a user that may or may not be able to tell you why certain mods are installed and how they were performed.

We try to help anyone that can acquire one of these cars, but we rarely say walk away without very good reason, and stating the reason(s) should there be any. Know what you want out of the car, use that for you pricing and restoration budget. Don't expect a free ride from a car of this age, nor not having to wrench on it to get it to some level of certain repair status to assume proper daily, or other, driving status. There is a thread in the Newbie section I believe, probably a stick on what to look for when buying a car, a GVR4 or any other car from Mitsu of this vintage.

Enjoy the sales process but bring a knowledgeable third party who can advise you on obvious stand outs with regards to condition, driveability problems or lack of maintenance, and be able to work with the seller with these issues. Even blown shocks and bald inner tire treads might not be super visible from certain angle and with certain mods.

Don't buy a car at night and don't buy a car in the rain.

My thoughts.

Take your time and don't get swept away with nuance if the owner/seller gets all nostalgic and starts talking about pedigree, rally history, this car can take 400HP; critique the car properly.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Put the car on a lift if possible, or the cars secondary position, 4 jack stands. A little tongue in cheek on that last one.

Angry_Italian

Thanks for the info!
Current owner tells me the turbo is bad and the photo looks like the exhaust manifold(to inspect the turbo?) is not installed. I might have to walk away from this one.
I can replace all that but buying a non running car has always been problematic for me.
The int. looks to be in good shape. I am still on the fence about it.

G

Staff member
Pics?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Angry_Italian:
Thanks for the info!
Current owner tells me the turbo is bad and the photo looks like the exhaust manifold(to inspect the turbo?) is not installed. I might have to walk away from this one.
I can replace all that but buying a non running car has always been problematic for me.
The int. looks to be in good shape. I am still on the fence about it.

Like G said, you can upload pics in the message box; "Upload Image into Post".

What exactly did the owner say is wrong with the car? Engine? Turbo? Transmission? Suspension? Price?

Angry_Italian

I have been pulling massive overtime and haven't gotten to see the car yet. I will see it Saturday. I will post pics then. This is whats on the post.

img.php

Angry_Italian

last update on this one.
car was in too rough of shape for me.
paint was bad, int was rough at best, motor was beyond my skill level to fix in my time frame.
the seller and I could not come to an agreement and I had to walk away.

so the hunt continues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts