The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

drilling into dash--VR4 Wiseman needed

Nebraska

I really don't want to go with a pillar pod for my needed gauges, so I decided to go with a dash mount style like most Subaru's use.
What I want: The pod to be mounted over the pocket where my badge sits.
My question: Where is a good spot to drill into the dash and not damage any HVAC Apparatus? This Hole(s) will be for wiring.

For those that are curious I will be using the autometer 20018 and will post pics.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Pot:
I am drunk otherwise I would provide better information. I will give you a hand tomorrow.

The Wiseman has spoken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflpuke.gif

Olson

No fucks Drill where ever you want

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Olson be drunk too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Spyke169

Run the wires through the defogger vent?

Nebraska

I would like it to be more neat and workmanlike, but thank you for the suggestion.

pot

Staff member
I was going to recommend the ECS Pod pictured below but Tyler Adamson said its tough to get the gauges to sit right without trimming the gauges.

img.php

Anyway, this is something to consider otherwise you could contact Curtis to see if he can make you another one of his fantastic DIN plates like below:

Nebraska

Both are good options. I have a WTB ad for the ECS pod but they seem to be hard to find. I wouldn't mind the din plate, how convienient is it to have a gauge or two down there? Install would be easier but I wouldn't like looking down I don't think.

pot

Staff member
You can score the ECS pod a bit easier on the galant FB pages. If I'm not mistaken theres at least one or two currently for sale. As far as convenience in placing gauges in the the DIN goes, it takes a bit of getting used to but is otherwise just fine for me. I have a VDO Vision 52mm boost and water temperature gauge placed there. Whenever a passenger compliments the car they always assume the DIN plate and gauges are there from the factory.

Olson

Quoting iceman69510:
Olson be drunk too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Isnt that the only way to work. Must be how i got the car down to 2600lbs

ApexHunter

One of my favorites here. It worked really good for me. Great visibility, integrates well, cheap to build. click

Nebraska

I don't have a Facebook anymore but that's still good to know. I'll have to check those pages when I get a chance. I like the idea of the din plate however that's my last resort.

I plan on using 3 gauges; Boost, Oil pressure, and a wideband. Still if I use the ECS pod I'll have to drill and use a gauge in the din plate. Would really prefer all 3 a small glance from the road but if oil pressure has to be down by the radio I would survive.

Nebraska

Quote:
One of my favorites here. It worked really good for me. Great visibility, integrates well, cheap to build. click

No lie, that's pretty cool.

transparentdsm

i had this in my car, very easy to see the gauges.
img.php

like you i want 3 gauges, well since i have an aftermarket radio and didn't really need the clock i did this.
img.php

slugsgomoo

put them in the glovebox, gauges are ugly and ruin the sleeper-yness of the galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Use ECMLink/Aem/etc to turn on an oh-sh*t light for anything out of a predefined range, and other than that meh.

I feel like you really only need access to gauges when tuning, since a bright ass check light flashing on tells you quickly enough to shut it down and see what's up, and easier to notice than looking at a bunch of gauges.

I used to like looking at my boost gauge when I had a 16g, I will admit, and pre-ecmlink they were handy to spot problems, but this is more-handier, and frankly with my current setup, if my foot is planted, I am only looking at the road, because staring at gauges seems like a good way to die.

ApexHunter

Quoting slugsgomoo:
put them in the glovebox, gauges are ugly and ruin the sleeper-yness of the galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Use ECMLink/Aem/etc to turn on an oh-sh*t light for anything out of a predefined range, and other than that meh.

I feel like you really only need access to gauges when tuning, since a bright ass check light flashing on tells you quickly enough to shut it down and see what's up, and easier to notice than looking at a bunch of gauges.

I too prefer a setup that is easily concealed on the street, so i use a Zeitronix ZT2/N-Dash LCD combo. I use this mainly at the track, and then when i'm back on the street this whole can be stowed or removed altogether very easily. Not sure how many oh sh*t lights you get with ECM link, but sometimes you need quantitative data too...ECT and OT in particular. Depends what you are doing with the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts