The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

options for struts?

Toago

hi all. first poSt here. excited to have found an active galant forum!

I do not have a vr4. I have a eagle gtx 2000 which is very similar. however only running a 2.Slow non turbo 4g63.

I need new front struts and mounts at least. I usually get stuff off of rockauto. they have prices from 30 to 60 dollars per front strut what confuses me is some are fwd, the more expensive say awd. but the kyb one id really like says both.

I am wondering can you use fwd struts on the awd platform. this is kind of my low budget winter beater so I'd like to find the most cost effective solution.

thanks for any input

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Weldcome. I have never owned a fwd Galant, but if fwd Eclipse/Talon vs awd is similar, the front struts are slightly shorter for a lower ride height (awd is higher). KYB may have made a compromise strut that adequately works on either, but not exactly the same as stock.

You didn't specifically ask about the rears, but they are definitely different in the mounting.

Toago

sorry I should have clarified. my eagle 2000 GTX is AWD, so I think its pretty close to the VR-4 in what struts and mounts I should be able to use.

I think I will just step up to the KYB level VR4 struts and mounts, I specifically need the front right now as my driver side mount is quite worn and the shock has room to wiggle over bumps which makes the car a bit unstable to drive. the FWD struts are around 35$ CDN where the AWD struts are closer to 70. still not overly expensive since ill be doing the work myself

raptorWagon

He knows what the 2000GTX is, it's the Canadian counterpart to our Galant GSX. Iceman was saying while he hasn't personally owned a fwd galant, that if they are any'thing like a fwd 1g dsm (90-94 Eclipse/talon/Laser), then the fronts off the fwd galant could work on your GTX.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, that. Thanks for translating to Canadian Reed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toago

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Thanks for the information and sorry for misreading your post. I am wondering if you can educate me a little further. If i do use the FWD struts in the front, would I still use the gsx or vr4 mounts? if this is going to lower the car could I use the rear shocks as well to even things out?

fuel

FWD front struts will bolt right in and will lower the car, but be aware the FWD springs are softer as they have to deal with less weight. You're likely to bottom the shocks out more frequently with the FWD struts in the front. The FWD rear struts do not fit on the AWD - the bottom mount is different.

Toago

Okay thanks for the input,

my springs are fine and I am purchasing new struts so if the AWD springs won't work with the FWD struts its just more things to buy. currently days averaging -13 deg Fahrenheit, I don't feel like looking for a junkyard option.

my plan is to compare the VR4 vs GSX/E200GTX struts and just go kyb struts and mounts for the front with whatever boot kit is cheapest.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts