The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got some cash and am gonna dump it in to 1292

yeti

So my baby has been sitting for probably 2 years I have a fresh motor assembled with over size new NPR Pistons.

And again a used oil pump......

So I never put the motor in the car because I didn't want another used oil pump failing. Next week I plan to drop the motor sitting on my patio at the local machine shop. Have them go over the engine because a Different shop had did all the work and assembled it.

They will be installing a ACL oil pump these are supposedly good as oem. What do you all think.

Other than that I have a whole car that needs to be gone over as well.
I feel so bad walking buy her everyday that I just have to start fixing her before its to late.

My job at HEALTHSTONE glass as a "glassblower" has gotten to a good point where I have some extra finances.

Hopefully this post is one of my best punctuation to date, if you search yeti you can see I was quite an ass before , I was also 18...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Welcome back.

Your last lines are classic.

Jesus_Negros

Oh sh*t Yeti!
When can I meet you I live in SoCal now. I miss your incoherent post.

tektic

I bought a acl pump and returned it. It looked like sh*t. I bought a Hyundai OEM pump for less money and it looked almost identical the one I pulled out.much better quality and it came with gears.

yeti

Anytime is a great time. I would be delighted to meet anyone from this forum, at the very least we can meet up after I get 1292 back on the road.

Damn good to know tektic Im just gonna go oem. Is the Hyundai 4g63 oem oil pump The same as the mitsu turbo oil pump just a bit cheaper?

Anyone know a reliable Japanese replacement motor company's here in CA. Just wondering in case the motor on my patio has something terribly wrong with it (rat that developed a taste for iron...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

yeti

San Diego galant vr4 bbq party /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So I decided to start 1292 yesterday because I saw rat sh*t and nesting in the engine bay wanted to see if they ate any wires

Also I found out that our stock setting for warm oil pressure at idle is only 12.5psi

I originally shut the motor I built down because i thought 20psi at idle was to low causing the engine I built to start tapping

After putting a new battery in her filling with fluids, she cranked right over andI let her run for a half hour getting to operating temp, I honestly thought the gas from 2 years ago wouldent have let the motor fire up but sure enough, only problems I could find was The slave is leaking and the motor was purely pissing oil from the oil turbo return line.
AFR was 12.5 at idle you think that was from the ancient gas in there?

Anyway I just blew up my single cam in my civic so my game plan is to stop leaks and change slave and drive the car around until I the new motor is ready or I swap a single cam back into my civic

Either way in proud that the motor I built stil starts definitely the motivation I needed .

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Searched around but knew already that idle/hot the oil pressures can be quite low. Fellow members posted this a while back:

Quoting EMX5636:
80psi won't be enough. Even the 100psi Autometer guages seem to pop on our engines sometimes. I know on my old Eclipse, I'd see 120ish PSI at like 8k with 15w50 on a 150psi gauge. No balance shafts.

Other than that, Mark is pretty close on normal pressures for a 4G. 60-80psi on cold startup. 12-20psi at idle.

My untouched 1G bottom end with balance shafts installed, and either 10w40 or 10w30 (can't remember weight now ...) synthetic with no OFH porting, runs in the 15-30 psi range hot idle. As long as the volume of oil coming from the pump is good and no strange blockage or drains occur in the system (popping oil squirters, etc), you may be fine.

I am taking readings from my Defi Racer electric sender and gauge set.

What is your oil weight/viscosity and type?

Last edited:

yeti

Oil weight is 15-30 maybe 15-40 pretty sure I'm running Diesel engine oil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gifcan't remember what exactly I put in.

Steady 15-20psi at idle

G

Staff member
The size of your oil filter also determines the oil pressure, if you run a big/ wide one it will be lower. If you run a small compact short one it will be higher. Giggity.

KiNgMaRtY

Welcome back! Good to hear that you are getting her back up and running. Always nice to see other GVR4's in Cali.

tektic

I run 10-30 only. I don't see oil pressure over 90psi at wot. I see between 12-22 at idle.

yeti

Little update,

So Im getting the beast all ready and I just saw a pinhole leak in my water pipe the big one right behind the turbo, so I removed the pipe and was just gonna go get it welded is this a good idea?

Also I had a oil pressure gauge runnin into my car and it also got a pin hole, just wondering where everyone gets there gauge lines if they need extra. ( clear plastic 1/8inch tubing ) orielly didn't have any and couldent help.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned