The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

200k miles on the 4g63 daily. what to expect

WesternMD_VR4

just curious and I must add this is a 93 eagle talon ES with a 7 bolt 4G63 N/T 5 speed tranny. just clicked 200k and be doing about 40k almost a year in mileage.. just curious what to expect from 200-300k miles other than your regular maintenance things. thermostat was recently replaced also as it blew. this car is all original btw with no aftermarket parts. burns about a qt of oil every 1500 miles or so.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

You plan on doing 40,000 miles a year on it?

WesternMD_VR4

its a 1800$ car ill ride it as long as I can until the bank kills me in repair which is why I was getting curious. and yes I do alot of Trips down I70 for work

tektic

I had 160k on my last nt eclipse before i took the head gasket out with a ripped heater core hose. It to had leaky valve seals and leaky injector seals. The amount of crud on the valves from running lean was ridiculous. When I took it apart I found that the balance shaft belt wasn't tensioned properly and most of the teeth had ripped off. It hadn't been spinning for a while.

If I had to do it all over again I would have done better maintenance on the car. I never pulled the lower timing cover to inspect the balance shaft belt and instead of replacing the heater core hose when it leaked the first time I cut the end off and put a new clamp on it.

If you really want to get another 100k do a head job. Clean and lap the valves. Put in some new viton valve seals. while your in there deburr the ports, polish and clean it up real nice, check the guides for cracks, and throw in some new valve springs and change all the gaskets. The bottom end of my engine was in great shape. With a new head and timing belt job it would have run like brand new. Oh and flush your cooling system and replace any questionable hoses!

I didn't take the heads off because it wasn't burning any oil at all... But I replaced the water pump timing belt valve cover gaskets and any other thing questionable piece of rubber hose or oil seal on my replacement DD. Also swapped out a few sensors and cleaned up the idle control valve. The screws were backing out of the oil pump. I'm very glad I took it off to find that. I have put 34k miles on it since May 1st of 2014. It's a 1995 2.2L Subaru legacy

Or you could just wait till it blows up and buy another 1200$ car like I did.

tyeler18

Having just hit 190k on my basically all original (minus the general maintenance parts) Vr4 I had a fairly extensive list of things I replaced to make sure it was up to par. Not sure what you're looking to spend to make it last, but the past 2 weeks i did- Timing belt/waterpump, valve seals/cam seals,various gaskets that were leaking, t-stat, every single hose that sees coolant was replaced as well as every clamp for them, inner/outer tie rods, all the drivetrain fluids, fuel filter, and plugs/wires. I have no doubt that this engine will last another 100k no issue, my last fill up I got 21mpg all city driving and the car saw more 11psi WOT pulls than it probably has the majority of it's life.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned