The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mods to start with

galantgti

I'm not going to try to invent the wheel, so I'm going to rely on the experience of other members on here.

So i've bought my first 4g63t. Obviously, I'm looking to increase the HP and torque. For a start, the car has a good base. No mods whatsoever at this point, stock turbo. The engine is in a very good condition, the timing belt is new, balance shafts still in but the belts are all new. All fluids are changed, filters are replaced and I ordered a K&N air filter to replace the stock one.

My personal goal: 300-350 hp. Not much more. I want to keep it a reliable daily driver, even though the car will never serve as a DD. It's just my fun car for good weather, it'll be in a warm garage otherwise. But reliability is more important to me at this point, than massive hp an torque. Ofcourse I realise the money it'll cost, and I'm looking for A+ parts and not cheap ebay intercoolers or turbo's.

So, the goal is 300-350 hp. Now I would like to know the opinions of you guys. What's the list of mods I should do? Obviously I'll start with blocking the EGR,bypass the coolant lines in the TB, install a boost gauge and boost control. But what from there on? Downpipe? 3" catback exhaust system? Is there any need to upgrade the fuel pump at this point already? 16G turbo?
And, which combo of intercooler and turbo should I use for my goal to make sure I don't have a intercooler with way to much , or few, capacity for the turbo?

prove_it

Start with the much lesser fun stuff such as replacing worn suspension components, driveline parts, brakes etc.

Going fast doesn't work well if it's not controllable.

Otherwise, opening up airflow through the turbo and engine is the best place to start. The stock 14b (in good shape) will push 280whp with the right mods.

I'd start with saving up money, then going with a simple 2.5 mandrel bend exhaust. 3in is too big with a stock turbo, I ran low 13's on a crush bent 2.5in with 2 90* bends and a 14b at 20psi with a 7cm hotside. The stock intercooler is the next thing to change. The VSRF 1G TEL kit is the best bang for your buck nearly bolt on kit.

Don't worry about EGR delete and by-passing the coolant lines. Your not going to see much difference until you swap to a 16G. I actually have a lot of the parts that would get you a big bump in power. PM me if interested.

EHmotorsports

I would recommend starting here and any further questions can be answered. Good info for first timers in DSM or gvr4 platforms as they share a good percentage of components mechanically.

click

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jeverts

Quoting nwsalty:
anyone running the retrofitted ohlins?

No but I hear BC, KSport, D2, CEIKA, make full setups that bolt right in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned