The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gvr4 or turbo mustang ?

Tudds

I'm guessing everyone will be biased towards the vr4 but I'll ask anyways.
I have a 100% stock original 1988 mustang. I replaced the gas tank and put a "race" fuel pump in it in preparation for its transformation.

For anyone not familiar, there is a turbo kit made for the 5.0 mustang that is reliable-ish and can't be beat for the money.
The kit is 1500 and all the odds and ends to support the kit(chips, injectors , gauges, exhaust,turbo blanket ) are about 1500.
I am at a crossroads where I can put 3000 bucks into a 3000 dollar car and make a reliable 400-500hp. Engines are cheap at the junkyard(around 250-300) and parts and support are readily available. My car is straight and original but the paint is faded so it's almost a flat maroon color(I actually like that it looks crappy and could be a sleeper)

I am at a crossroads, I've always loved 3000gt vr4s but the engine bay is cramped and they are a lot less common than dsm varieties.
I've had a talon 2.0 n/a and a 1997 gst(auto) and they were cool but I'm not a fan of the styling. I've had a Spirit r/t which is pretty much the equivalent of an srt4 from 1991.
Anyways,
What are the chances of finding a stock/not mutilated/modded but not destroyed gvr4 for 5k-7k. I've looked and only find heavily modded project cars, fully modded running cars, and non running cars in overall terrible condition.
I've looked at cars sold on here and nice ones have sold but I'm looking for something in 1-2 months

My goals are to go to the local car shows and Sunday drives and auto cross when my schedule allows it.

Any input would greatly be appreciated

prove_it

Very good odds of finding a 5-7k GVR4 in good shape. Check out the cars for sale section.

Ask yourself, What do you really want in a performance car?

Tudds

I'm really looking for a quick car that's cheap and will reliably run when I want to drive it. You can get into plenty of trouble with a car that runs 12s so that's what my modest goal would be.
I have a 2002 Camaro ss that is stock. I've driven to 12.69 in the quarter mile but it's very expensive to modify and not be loud/stand out.
I have a supercharger for the Camaro not installed that cost more than $5,000 that I have always debated installing or not. My Camaro is also in near perfect condition so it's not something that needs to be worked on.

The current cars in the for sale section seems like I would be buying someone else's nightmare.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

remember that any performance car will have been driven hard and put away wet. if you do not have the time or knowledge to fix things properly then you should just stick with what you know.

KiNgMaRtY

If you want to autocross, the Galant VR4 will do a muche better job at it than the mustang will.
I do love the sound of a v8 but the sleeper look also goes to the Galant.

Tudds

I kind of figured auto cross would be better with the vr4 but I mainy go to swing the car around and beat my previous times. I Don't really care if someone is faster than me or not.

Tudds

Here's the mustang hanging out until spring. Those wheels are factory for a gt but are super ugly. It's a sleeper in a sense. Zero options besides the 5.0. Roll up windows , no power locks, basically a stripper package

Jesus_Negros

Well a gvr4 wouldn't have to wait until spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But, it depends on your goals. A foxbody and GVR4 are both good options for autocross. The foxbody has crazy amount of options to make it handle. But a turbo 5.0 autocrossing sounds like a lot of work to avoid cones.

Honestly it depends on your goals. Both options can be made to handle well and be fast. Neither are too expensive, though both can get expensive when you start getting "the wants". So which do you want? A 2door RWD turbo v8 or a 4door AWD turbo 4cyl? They're so different haha.

Tudds

I think the problem is that I want both. Turbo fox body would be terrible at auto cross but I just want to fling the car around.
I'm going to keep searching for a vr4 and if I can't find one I'll buy the turbo kit.

One thing I like about the vr4 is that it has abs(lots of people delete it though). I was rebuilding the front end of my jeep and drove the mustang in the winter. New York drivers cut you off so I had to give plenty of room for braking in the wet/cold. Worrying about sliding off the road or rear ending someone is the worst way to drive to work.

EHmotorsports

FYI the ABS in a vr4 sucks. at least for the 91. you would be better off without abs.

Tudds

I sort of figured. I saw the abs unit in a toms turbo garage video and it looks like a nightmare

prove_it

You can fit more ladies COMFORTABLY in a GVR4.......

Tudds

I have one lady who supports my nonsense and actually likes cars. I had a car buying problem and had 11 or 13 at one time, can't really remember. She helped me realize it's pretty stupid to have so many cars(and never drive them). That box truck behind the mustang is mine too! We were looking into getting the 2016 Ford Focus rs (awd turbo) to replace her civic hybrid. We don't have the money for a 30,000 dollar toy so I figured the gvr4 is close enough.

She's at the point where she doesn't care what I get as long as I sell one car. She said the vr4 was dumb because it's not awd and once I said it was she said get whatever you want.

We like road trips and wouldn't mind flying out buying a car and driving it back. That's why I'm not interested in these civic radiator/every option deleted cars.

She also Hates my Camaro and says it's the ugliest car ever made. It's the one UNDER the lift

Last edited:

prove_it

That's your home garage? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Tudds

It's my dads at his "country house". It's a tiny shitty house with a huge garage. My family is all car people. White car is my moms

Tudds

I used to make these walk around videos when I would sell my car. Took a screen shot off YouTube. I had this talon 6 years ago. I paid 800 bucks at a dealer auction and when I sold it two people fought in the street to buy it.

I also bought a 3000gt vr4 at auction and sold it to pampena motor sports. Every time I saw a cool car I would walk over to see if it was turbo.

prove_it

Is your dad's camero a 69?

prove_it

If you don't mind a handful to drive and no traction....

Which can be fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts