The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel rail

clevr4

I went to start my car at work and checked oil. After it was running I noticed a pool of fluid on my intake. Was fuel, I saw where it was dripping at the elbow comment or at eND of rail on timing belt side. I wasn't sure if it was the elbow that needed tightening, so I removed the whole rail. Guy at the workshop at my job offered to work on it. Not sure what he's going to do. Make sure it doesn't leak from the rail I suppose. I'll get it back today I pulled the injectors with the rail. I was reading in the how to section and saw that the grommets should be replaced as regular maintenance. I was not able to make it to the store to get the new ones but I'll reuse the old ones, now that I know how to take the real off it should be simple job. I think she is mad I put her up under a feeler fs thread. . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

EHmotorsports

yeah all maintenance needs to be done to these cars. otherwise they will live up to the reliability curse.

prove_it

Yep, I always tell people to add 30% of the budget in misc seals and parts on any upgrade.

Always love the people that spend 1k on a turbo, then bitch when maintenance stuff breaks or is in need of work.

slugsgomoo

if there's a leak at the rail it's most likely one of the o-rings on the adapters for the lines, or the injector o-rings, and not the rail itself.

GSTwithPSI

Is your FPR actually mounted to something, or is it just hanging out?
20150127_120025_zpseorwejzy.jpg

prove_it

Could be the gauge that sits on the rail. Those are know to crack and leak after a while in 200 degree engine bay, especially with it being attached at the engine where vibrations beat it up.

clevr4

Okay, I inspected the situation. It is still leaking but not as bad. The red thing to the right side of the rail is the fpr? That is not mounted to anything. It is connected to the fuel rail by a blue colored elbow. That elbow where it connects to the rail is what is leaking. If anyone has any idea what elbow brand/part that is I'd like to order a new one and see if that solves the problem. If that doesn't work I will remove the rail and order a new setup. I will then weld the old rail to that elbow and have a spare rail haha. I will have to do some research on the injectors and rail. It was not very apparent on how to remove those injectors. I'm guessing they are pretty secured in that rail. I want to use my old injectors if i do get a new rail.

GSTwithPSI

First, don't operate the car at all whatsoever until this is fixed. If that catches on fire, you'll be fucked. If you want to test for leaks, use the fuel pump activation terminal to activate the pump with the car off. The test terminal is located on the firewall near the back of the intake manifold. It looks like this:
fuelpumptestconn.jpg

Second, whoever put that together is a moron. You have an Aeromotive A1000 adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR), same as I have on my car. The regulator needs to be mounted with a bracket somewhere in the engine bay. Preferably, away from major heat sources. The elbow that connects it to the rail isn't meant to support the weight of the AFPR. Since whoever put that together thought it was, you're left with a leaky connection.

What you need to do is relocate the AFPR properly. Make a bracket and move it to the firewall or something similar. Then, buy some hose to connect the regulator to the rail. If you need help putting together a parts list, let us know. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are pictures of where I mounted the regulators on my last two VR4s:
DSC00461.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

DSC00692.JPG

clevr4

If you don't mind posting parts, I can order today. Do you think I should replace the whole rail or that elbow is just leaky? I will find a good place to mount the red afpr? Will a fuel leak effect boost pressure?

GSTwithPSI

I need to see more pictures of the rail. Typically, theres a bolt-in fitting that gets inserted into the rail where the stock FPR would have been. Is this what you have?

clevr4

Good side no leaks. Any idea what fitting size that is?
20150302_123008_zpssncyss1t.jpg
[/url][/img]

Now this is the leaky side. It leaks right under the connection to the fuel rail. If you look at the previous picture there is a bolt tab on 2 sides of the rail, this side there is only one. I don't know how or why the underneath tab got broke but that's where it is jb welded.
20150302_123020_zpsvcouxuc1.jpg
[/url][/img]

So the next question is. Any clue where I can get more elbows? And any clue what rail will fit that elbow. I want to use old injectors if I get new rail. What parts will be needed to put old injectors in new rail? How to maybe? I'll get that afpr mounted some where I'm just focused on this leak. How fragile are injectors? I don't want to remove rail with injectors until I'm ready to install that elbow or transplant injectors into new rail. Thanks

clevr4

Any idea what injectors I have just by the picture? The metal clip shown in the first picture for the injector connector, know where I can order a bunch of those?

prove_it

That set up makes me gringe. I have a stock fuel rail you can have if you cover shipping (about 20 bucks). Otherwise any DOHC turbo or not will work. After that I recommend using the fuel rail adapters with a new line.
These guys.
stm_fuel_rail_fittings.jpg

Where to buy

Then you'll need a 90* -6 fitting some -6 fuel line and a couple other fittings. I'm not sure what size threads that regulator uses, perhaps someone can finish what I listed.

prove_it

Get that regulator off the engine and some soft line in between. Like mentioned before.

clevr4

Does a fuel rail effect flow of fuel to injectors? Could I just throw these injectors on a stock fuel rail? And what do you mean by "new line"? Thanks

clevr4

Quoting prove_it:
Get that regulator off the engine and some soft line in between. Like mentioned before.

Yeah i will, does seem like a no brainer.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting clevr4:
Does a fuel rail effect flow of fuel to injectors? Could I just throw these injectors on a stock fuel rail? And what do you mean by "new line"? Thanks

Yours looks like it is a stock rail. Apparently someone just tapped the ends for the fittings they installed. Prove it offered you a replacement and info on the adapters. If you don't have experience with this type of stuff, those adapters are a start.

prove_it

Quoting clevr4:

The fuel rail only affects fuel injector flow when the volume of the rail is not large enough to support very large injectors. We are talking about some seriously big ones here. I've seen stock fuel rails support over 600whp on E85. The pump and regulator do a bigger job of supplying the injector with the "reservoir" of fuel.

Your car will be fine with a stock fuel rail. You could go with an AEM or similar, but your just wasting money since it will do nothing for you but pretty up a piece of aluminum.

The new line I'm referring to is about a 2ft chunk of -6 fuel line. Google AN line building. Start with a little video demo of how to make lines so your more familiar with what you need to do.

I can't tell the size of your injectors, no one will with them installed. They do look like FIC's, but I dunno for sure. As for size they need to be removed and you'll have to look for numbers. Injectors are not fragile and can be handled easily, nothing special. Don't go dropping them or throwing them into the woods(lets see who gets that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) or they can be damaged. Again Youtube and google can give you a video of DSM injector installs.

I highly recommend watching some videos and some guides before getting into this repair, no offense, but you do seem UN-educated on this subject. Your working with fuel and vapors under pressure and leaks cause fires and possible explosions. We will all guide you on this, but you'll need to do some homework on your own for your safety.

prove_it

Oh and Teflon tape on those fittings is a huge no-no.

clevr4

Alright thanks man, the company mechanic told me tape is what I need, we do joke about his shitty mechanic skills. But prove it I'll buy that rail off you. I will order those adapters too. I need to get this thing back running (safely) it seems like a rather easy fix just new waters for me. I'll Google that AN line and YouTube injector transplanting. Mounting that afpr will be no biggie thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned