The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

maaco paint job

clevr4

Went to maaco and got a paint job done, I went with paint code on car. Seems like it turned out a little different than expected, but I'm satisfied. They did a pretty good job. Took 3 days, price was 866. Haven't looked at car long in light but so far in content.

This was before
20150127_181918_zpsa61oowh0.jpg
[/url][/img]

During
IMG_20150210_172210_zpsh4vl8bpq.jpg
[/url][/img]

IMG_20150211_170804_zpsvbjledvw.jpg
[/url][/img]

After
20150212_160824_zpsjihumewv.jpg
[/url][/img]

20150212_160802_zpswwlvimnw.jpg
[/url][/img]

20150212_160739_zpspwlrt4wv.jpg
[/url][/img]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

G

Staff member
They left all the cladding and molding on and painted? I guess for $900 that's not bad. It looks good in photos.

clevr4

Single stage. They didn't paint trim or door handles. They took crome off. They wanted to charge 100 for the trim. Included in the 860, they fixed 2 noticeable dents. There are still some dents on hood and roof but I can look past. I don't even know what color that is honestly, thought it would be more black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSTwithPSI

From the pics, the paint looks pretty good for what you paid.

That intercooler tho...Looks like your car has a big ass bucktooth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

Ian M

Looks good for the price,$860 is DIRT CHEAP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I work in a restoration shop,that amount doesn't go far toward matterials much less labor and all. 4 gallons of polyester primer for the main shell of my personal VW was almost $600 alone. (They aren't using that on a project like this,but gives someone an idea how much this stuff costs)

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Do you have a FMIC?

hehehe

So they sanded, preped, and did body work for that amount too? That sounds pretty good to me.

turbowop

I've seen good Maaco jobs and bad. Most of the good ones still ended up with overspray in areas that had to be cleaned up but otherwise the job turned out nice. As long as it lasts, that's a great deal. Looks 100% better than what you had before. Nice. Though I think something needs to be done about that front bumper.

WesternMD_VR4

doesnt look bad but be extremely careful. I knew a person with the 300$ special 92' golf. they painted over the bugs and the dealer sticker on the trunk lid. I cannot make this up. my buddy has a 00' S10 and got there top package which was over a grand. he had rust in some spots.. the rust showed through less than 2 months and it was a 1 month warranty. They missed a lot between the bed and cab. looks good from what I see tho.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

I believe somewhere like Maaco would work best if you prep your own car or if it has very little damage. They are cheap for a reason, they get them in and out and probably paint cars back to back all day long. They simply cannot pay their employees to repair the car correctly and charge $900. Like another guy mentioned paint supplies are not cheap by any means. Neither is labor. There is a ton of work that goes into doing bodywork and painting a car. I never knew quite how much until I went to school for it.

Not taking anything away from the OP, your car looks awesome. You should be stoked for what you paid. It looks like a completely different car and like you said you can live with a ding here and there. However for guys with rust or a ton of dents either fix it yourself or take it to a regular bodyshop and expect to pay quite a bit more than $900.

The guy that I help won't even touch an all over paint job for less than $2500. Sad thing is, most people looking an all over paint job have a car that is worth $1000-$5000 and feel it's crazy to invest so much and it is. But if your original paint is flaking or cracking there are certain steps that need to be taken so that the new paint will last. It's just not possible to do it properly on the cheap.

clevr4

Yeah, I'm impressed thus far. Thanks for the love. I have a 4 year warranty, 24 months 100% cost covered, 36 months I pay 25% and 48 is 50% so I think I'll be good for a while. And common guys. .... it's tax season, I was tempted to buy 2 vr4 lol
They did good on the dents though, 48 dollars a piece. It was originally 9 something. ..but "let me see what I can do" *poof* 864

Fiascoxl

You said in another post about a Skyline drive cruise, you've got to let me know when you do this again! I live literally five minutes from where skyline drive and the parkway meet. I am always down for a cruise, especially with another gvr4.

clevr4

Yeah I'll get your info, I think they are doing one again in the spring. We need more vr4 guys, the neon srt4 clan showed up. Like 5 or 6 of them haha

raptorWagon

Quoting clevr4:
Single stage. They didn't paint trim or door handles. They took crome off. They wanted to charge 100 for the trim. Included in the 860, they fixed 2 noticeable dents. There are still some dents on hood and roof but I can look past. I don't even know what color that is honestly, thought it would be more black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Was that suppose to be Kensington Grey or Nile black lol?

clevr4

Well he said it was x something off the car [factory] which is Sable black? He told me the color I got was oxen gray or something, I was expecting black...but got that. It's all good though, only went with factory to keep it oem... I like the color though haven't seen anything quite that shade

SmoothCustomer

My guess is he was looking at the wrong year, or the wrong make somehow. This definitely looks closer to K Grey than the Nile Black it was probably supposed to be, but I think it's a nice color. And for that price I'd say you did good.

turbowop

Make sure you get the color code and/or mixture list from what they used in case you need to respray anything in the future. Like an unhacked front bumper.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^^^^^

Would be really good to have the paint product names as TurboW said.

They likely have a print out program for that too. I got one when my bumper was painted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned