The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sized top end?

Wolfpuss

Well, I was doing some maintenance (bad front seal) on the VR4. Got everything put back together, but when I tired rotating the engine it seems that it was binding on the top end.

The bottom end rotates freely (Timing belt off), but when I try rotating it with the timing belt on, it rotates and just binds when I hit the 45 degree angle.

Big question, is this head fubar'd? or can it be saved?

I am honestly freaking out and afraid to touch the damn thing.

Thanks in advance.

-Randy

GSTwithPSI

Binds as in feels like you're hitting something (a valve) or binds like the crank just gets hard to turn? If the crank just becomes a bit more difficult to turn, it could be the valve spring tension you're feeling.

Take some pictures of the timing marks and post them up.

Wolfpuss

Brett- Yes, it definitely feels like it's hitting a valve.

Mark- Yes, spark plugs are removed.

Update: Tired an OEM Mitsubishi belt and a Gates belt thinking it's a belt issue. No dice. Both cams move freely. Any advice how to get this thing fixed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pictures:

coyotes

Your timing marks are definitely off, you need to line them up right and see how things rotate after that. Hopefully nothing has been damaged.

coyotes

Use these tips to help you get it all lined up right: click

and use the guide in the link at the top. that's the best way of making sure it is done right.

G

Staff member
You have alignment problems here. Also wipe that hot mess down a little.

163433_0_0_0.jpg

Last edited:

coyotes

Make sure that your oil pump is also properly in the right position. The mark can line up but it can still be out of synch. Use a neat trick to make sure it's in the right spot without having to pull the bolt on the back of the block to check. I linked the video in my next post

Last edited:

coyotes

click

here is the video in question. Use this to make sure it is lined up properly or your engine will have bad vibration once it's back together.

coyotes

Ok cool. I have made it a best practice to do, although I still have my balance shafts. Good to know though

Wolfpuss

Thanks for the heads up boys!

Unfortunately, I cannot get this thing right. I probably took of the T-belt, realigned the marks at least 20 times to no cigar. I'm completely lost.

I will try 20x tomorrow.

turbowop

This car has a 2.4 or 2.3 right? I don't really know anything about those, but could that be an issue when lining up the timing marks?

coyotes

It can be tricky to get it right. I put it around the camshafts first, you may have to use a wrench on the cam bolt to get the notches to line up. put a ziptie or two around the sprockets to hold the belt in place. go around everything clockwise from there, all the extra slack in the belt has to end at the tensioner, then you can deal with setting the tension. Use this guide to help you out: click

Wolfpuss

Yes 2.4 and No on lifters. Thank you, Coyotes for the VFAQ shiz.

Funny thing is, I put a new timing belt on this bish 2 months ago. I removed the timing stuff this time to service my front main that I neglected last service. When I did the timing last time, I went by the marks and the dowels on the top end. Didn't really pay attention on the orientation of the bottom marks. Put everything back together and the thing ran like a champ! I also used that experience to install a timing belt on my GGSX last weekend. The GGSX runs fine (knock on wood)

FF today, I needed to remove the crank sprocket to gain access to the front main seal. The damn thing didn't want to budge at first, so I started playing with it (using all sorts of tools) to remove it. While working on it, I noticed it move and I quickly took my wrench and line it up to the marks (without timing belt installed), but without knowing whether the mark was the original position at the first place.

Everything turns freely without the timing belt installed. Bottom end moves buttery smooth and shows no signs hitting the valvetrain. Its when I line everything up to the marks and install the belt when the problem starts (binding,valve slap or some sort of gypsy sh*t)

Took a video today before giving up (sorry for my language at the end) click

brisvr4

You haven't put the crank spacer on backwards have you?
It looks like I can see a ghost image of the balance shaft sprocket on the front of the spacer.

transparentdsm

yeah. looks like the plate is on backwards and of course the crank mark is off.

Turbowop - to an extent yes a 2.3 or 2.4 stroker will have the timing marks off a bit and after a closer look the cam marks look fine.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts