The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C conversion

Okay so I am trying to swap to R134a and after doing some reading on here I saw I need:

charge fittings
orings
dryer

I assume I would just get a 1g eclipse/talon dryer but is there a kit you can provide me which has the fitting and ALL orings I need for the swap?

Also is there anything else I am forgetting? I have the motor out and the system is already drained.

Thanks.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The oil is different too. You need to replace with the proper amount for the system. Are you having the system vac'd out? You really should.

I have replaced dryers before, and just ordered one for the Galant. I don't know if the 1g is interchangeable, so just get the correct one.

Given the age of the vehicle, I doubt you would find a specific o-ring kit with the fittings unless you buy a kit with lots of o-rings and pick the correct ones.

r4pt0x

The eclipse AC system is completely different from the Galants system, the dryer wont fit. galant has a combined connector/double-switch fitting on top, the Eclipse has the double-switch at the AC-Line...

Order the O-Rings from Mitsubishi or at an Workshop for AC-Systems - normal rubber O-Rings will leak after a few weeks.
For conversion to R134a it isn't necessary to replace them - replacing the valve inserts though is always a good idea on an old AC system.
get the system properly evacuated and re-filled with R134a + correct ammount of PAG-Oil (=same ammount as removed when evacuating + ~20g. most AC-service should have this as default preset) and you should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned