The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Saved 1663/2000

VR4Scott

Had another one towed down from Georgia. It is 100% stock and had never had the timing belt changed. It broke and owner stored it for 3 years, after he couldn't afford the repair. Finally decided to clean out his barn and said if he couldn't sell it was going to junk it. This has virtually no rust on it, just misc brackets here and there. It's got a few dings in the side but nothing terrible. Got plans to restore it a bit.

To my knowledge this one has never been registered on the board. This is my 4th GVR4, my 1st 1991, and I have now owned all 4 colors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll post photos when I get home.

VR4Scott

Here's a few photos of it:

VR4Scott

Quoting coyotes:
very nice, how many miles?

Quoting coyotes:
could be a rusty shitheap.

I will further inspect when I go through it. But, just laying on the ground looking at what little I can see, it all appears fine.

GSTwithPSI

Best way to check is pull the front fenders and take a look at the rocker panels. If those are rusty, typically there will be other spots on the car that need attention as well.

Looks like everything is there, at least. Mind saying what you paid?

VR4Scott

I've got to finish a few other things before I tear this one apart. I paid more than I wanted to for the car, plus the 460 mile trailer ride.

GSTwithPSI

Like I said, at least everything looks like it is there. A little rust and cleaning is no big deal. Finding a decent platform to start building on that isn't hacked to sh*t seems like it's getting harder and harder these days. A little pressure wash and that car looks like it will clean right up. I'm betting after a valve job and new timing belt that thing fires right up, too. Looks like a nice buy to me overall. In for progress.

Wolfpuss

Looks nice and it looks like mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GL with the project OP!

theevozero

The belt doesn't look broken. Did it sheer the teeth off?

VR4Scott

It is very loose up top and of the teeth that are visible, many are missing pieces. Took the valve cover off and 2 rockers are misplaced. Inside was relatively clean, at least the fluids were changed regularly.

Wizardawd

Rockers off is a sure sign of some bent valves. Easy fix though.

Wiz

VR4Scott

I got a little time yesterday and took advantage of it. Pressure washed the bay and pulled the head to find a nice surprise.

I have a spare head that is rebuilt and I found a rebuilt shortblock local. I'll pick that up and get them swapped in. Gonna pull a bunch of brackets and what not to sandblast and repaint or powder coat.

Last edited:

VR4Scott

Got the motor out, going to take some time to clean the bay.

Last edited:

Wookalar

Virtually no rust seems like mild rust but not too bad, we've all seen worse.

Nice of you to save her. Belize green is the best color imo, aside from from mirror black of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WaRrIoRs16

What are your plans for the car? Going to keep it or sell it?

VR4Scott

I'll get a few photos under the car for reference of the rust I meant it was lacking. Appears someone had some brake fluid no cleaned off the firewall by the reservoir. After having to buy a motor, I'm most likely going to sell it. I was hoping to be in it cheap enough to keep.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts