The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I need some heat proofing suggestions

GSTwithPSI

This FP manifold is becoming more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. The intercooler pipe that routes over the manifold is way too close. The heat and pressure blew the soft pipe I originally had there apart in about 30 min. So, I fabbed up a new hard pipe to go over the manifold in place of the soft pipe, but it gets hot as hell. It gets so hot, that I'm afraid the coupler on the end might blow up next. To further complicate the issue, there's pretty much zero room between the hard pipe and the manifold. I wanted to fab up a heat shield, but the intercooler pipe doesn't leave enough space for fitment. Here's a pic:

So what should I do about this? I thought about heat wrapping the intercooler pipe, but I think heat wrap looks like ass. I also thought about a manifold blanket, but they also look like ass IMO, and I don't know if they make a blanket for the FP manifold. Another thought was to just start over with the intercooler pipe, and fab another one that routes up farther, and allows me to use a heat shield.

Shoot me some suggestions here, guys. Thanks!

coyotes

I think the heat blanket they make specifically for the FP manifold looks great. Transparentdsm has one and he has only said good things about it:

click

Maybe you can see about getting them in a different color? Not sure what you're looking for but I guess your options are limited. I do agree that a heat wrap does look crappy, especially on a cast manifold that you can't really tightly wrap. The jnz shield is expensive and may not fit your setup.

JamesFoster

There's a pretty nice FP manifold heat shield here, not sure if it'll fit though. click

Here's a nice FP manifold heat blanket thing, designed for the FP manifold, that actually looks decent. I know you can run both the blanket and the above heat shield for extra heat paranoia. click

You also should look into getting your upper intercooler pipe ceramic coated, if not: click
click

I think that should cover all your heat resisting needs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

Distance and air flow are both good insulators.
My ets pipe has a couple inches both in front of and above the manifold. It still gets pretty hot though. I'm going with a Metal heat shield eventually.

Lancer99

I heard the blankets or wrap can cause the manifolds to crack. So I did the oppisite and I use the exhaust heat wrap around the intercooler piiping to block the heat, surprisingly it worked really well. I wrapped it from the turbo to about an inch to the coupler and I touched the other side of the coupler after driving it for about 30mins and it was cool to touch.

coyotes

I don't think heat wrap is good enough for brett. have you seen his engine bay? that'd be like gettin a PBR at red lobster.

Also Brett if you want to trade your FP manifold for my Evo III I'll include the OEM heat shield. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

JamesFoster

Quoting Lancer99:
I heard the blankets or wrap can cause the manifolds to crack. So I did the oppisite and I use the exhaust heat wrap around the intercooler piiping to block the heat, surprisingly it worked really well. I wrapped it from the turbo to about an inch to the coupler and I touched the other side of the coupler after driving it for about 30mins and it was cool to touch.

Maybe with a tubular manifold, I highly doubt a cast one is going to crack.

turbohf

Quoting coyotes:

Also Brett if you want to trade your FP manifold for my Evo III I'll include the OEM heat shield. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

my pipe seems to get pretty hot with this setup also.

i got talked into swapping to an FP manifold (still havent acquired) to keep from overheating and blowing the coupler off the turbo (FP Red)... but this post isnt making me feel any better about the idea.

turbohf

Quoting JamesFoster:
Quoting Lancer99:

there is a cracked FP manifold forsale in the classifieds.

BluFalcon

I ran into the same issue, and wound up swapping to a ported EVO III manifold and had my intercooler pipe ceramic coated, along with the turbine housing, O2 housing and external wastegate housing. The coupler coming off of my compressor outlet was way too close to the runner on the FP manifold, so I decided to swap back to the factory style stuff with a heat shield. I was OK with it, since I figured it might be a more reliable setup in the long run.

prove_it

Quoting JamesFoster:
Quoting Lancer99:

Google FP manifold cracks. I think you'll be surprised what you see.

prove_it

Brett, in my opinion with the Fp manifold, it's a win loss situation. You gain spool up and some top end power over the E3 manifold, but have to deal with higher IATs. Mine kicks my butt too, especially in stop and go traffic. The pipe will get hot. I plan going to a down firing compressor housing, which from my research on tooners has pretty much been the best solution. You will need to make a compromise on getting the goal you want. If you want to stay over the top, then your better off building a shield for the hot side piping or moving away from the manifold. Don't wrap the Fp manifold, they are starting to crack at a decent rate with wrap on them.

One idea I had was to build an "over" pipe. Basically you put your hot side pipe inside another pipe, the air trapping in between acts like a blanket (think Thermos cups). It might be tricky to fab up in a appealing way though. Otherwise, you might just have to deal with heat wrap.

Sorry bud, but there are no quick answers. I really think that Fp designed this manifold with having a down firing compressor in mind.

prove_it

Oh, and a new turbo inlet would help lower the temps too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tektic

Quoting coyotes:
that'd be like gettin a PBR at red lobster.

Is red lobster fancy?

MellowVR4

Im going to try the blanket for the fp manifold, I think the manifold will crack either way with or with out one. People say they crack with just a ceramic coating on them.

prove_it

I've gone 10k+ ,miles and two years with every weather condition. No cracks here. It's worth mentioning though, I still have the lower brace connected to the DP. Not if that makes the difference.

JamesFoster

Strange. I must be out of the loop, I haven't really heard anything about the FP's cracking before. I have a ceramic coated one and it's never cracked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wookalar

I would definitely wrap that pipe but a blanket would also help tremendously.

The "titanium" bronze looking wrap is not that much of an eyesore, it actually kind of looks cool if wrapped nice and neat, IMO.

I've done all kinds of heat control tricks. There is also the gold foil route if you don't like the wrap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts