The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Something's wrong loss major power/ vibration

WesternMD_VR4

I drive the car very rarely and it was fine when I parked it last weekend. Started it up. Had its usually rough idle I give it gas a few times and it'll settle around 1k. Well I was pulling out of driveway and started to give it gas and realized something was holding it way back major loss of power and motor sounded a ill different something wasn't right. It was hard to explain when I was giving it gas it was almost like a very slight vibration going thru the car. I can provide more details tomorrow but I pulled it right back into garage and was revving it. Was idling ok and sounded ok to my knowledge but revving it up a lil something didn't sound right. I know these are vague details I will update tomorrow once I mess with it more.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Did it sound like a Subaru? You could have a bad injector/plug loose, or a bad plug or something simple.

EMX5636

Check for an injector clip that popped off, or similar. Could have also had a spark plug wire come loose. Probably nothing major.

WesternMD_VR4

Thanks man you just made me feel so much better. I was actually cleaning some oil off the plug wires from my previous valve cover I just replaced. Hopefully that's what it is it sounded exactly like a Subaru and something was holding major power back.

strokin4dr

Also check the ignition transistor. I've had a couple go out with the same "Subaru" symptoms.

desant78

My "subaru sound" came because I mounted the coil packs on the strut tower, and it had moved causing the bottom of the packs to short to the frame causing my all my problems. Good luck!

WesternMD_VR4

Thanks for all the help guys well car was riding good never been a problem till then. I was messing with the plugs a lil and the wires that may be it I haven't had the time to check. All I know was I accidentally started car in gear ( jumped forward with e brake on stopping it) I put in neutral and started it up and then I noticed. Not saying the jump from starting it in gear was the problem. That's just what happened before I noticed it.

Last edited:

WesternMD_VR4

Thanks for all the help guys it's fixed now runs fine just had the plug come loose and now she drives like she did.

WesternMD_VR4

yea yea yea I see ya EMX hey with all the stuff that has happened to my motor the last year I'll welcome home a loose cable... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

I hear you. Mine had a rough month a couple months ago. I'll welcome an easy fix all day as well. And just as an FYI, if you are ok with a soldering gun, you can upgrade the injector pigtails to newer Mitsu (I'm running 90's GM ones) that don't come off unless you want them too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned