The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternater draw 2.6a but cant find a short?

tektic

Ok so the new battery i just installed is dead. I checked amprage draw on every circuit. None. Untill I removed alternator fuse. The unit has 200 miles on it. I ha1e to replace it? What's broken and how do I fix it? Its the double line that draws current.

Resolution: Lower heat shield FTW
Fabed up heat shield
No dead batteries after installing.

Edit 7-6-14 after driving yesterday parked back in the garage and woke up to a 5v battery. So... Saturn alternator is in my future. .. acdelco hasnew not rebuilt one listed for $100 that I'm going to try out.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Yes replace it. You roll the dice with rebuilt alty's.

tektic

Left these wires disconnected last nigh battery did not drain. Tested them both for draw and could not duplicate my readings from yesterday.

Can someone confirm both these wires should be tied to the same lug?

tektic

Is it possible that the lack of a heat shield on my turbo makes the diodes in the alternator too hot and causess them to leak power back? It is only a 60amp unit. Might have different components because wasn't turbo spicific?

Been having intermittent battery drainage issues.

Kibby

I had a really bad issue when I got my galant 2 years ago. The plug for the alternator came out because the clip was broken and overpowered the car @ 15.5 volts. I did manage to get the plug back in but the battery would die at random times of sitting.the box which has those wires and fuses melted together and it couldnt be fixed until I replaced the entire front chasis harness. You also should have a 90 amp not a 60. Start looking for loose or broken wires. Most of my harness was already rotted and messed up so I never pinpointed the drain but like I said a replaced harness and everything works perfectly now. Also check to see if any lights stay on especially the trunk light. My buddies civic for some reason his lr brake light wouldnt shut off when he turned the car off.

tektic

I did manage to narrow the draw down to one of these wires in the picture above. The harness was in good order when I installed it a few months back. I would just hate to replace this alternator to have the same issue because its caused by over heating.

Kibby

Is your car oem as far as manifold/turbo?

tektic

Its oem style... It has a ported evo 3 parts.

In the picture above, are both the 2 wires together and the wire with the black strip supposed be going to the alternator fuse? I want to rule out that it's wired wrong.

Kibby

Looking at mine I think your lacking a wire. Dont mind the color difference

tektic

The wires on the right are a different circuit. But you have the same 3 wires on alt circuit. Thanks for the picture.

tektic

I have no draw when I tested today. I think its a heat issue for the alternator. So I spent some time in the garage making a heat shield.

Its cut and bent stainless, just need to weld polish and put some bolt holes in it.

Kibby

I actually wrapped my entire chasis harness in regular electrical tape then rewrapped it wherever it there was heat with a high temp electrical tape. It cleaned up the engine bay and made the harness look a lot cleaner.ive ran the car hard quite a few times and everything seems to hold up well. Believe it or not the harness is still very flexible

tektic

Oh I believe you, I did the same thing. I think it's the alternator itself getting hot. The diodes inside or something else getting over there rated temperature and then creating a short somehow. everything is connected for three days, and for three days i haven't started the car for more then a minuet or two. Battery is still at 12.86V. I can swap out the alternator for the stock 90a with 87k, but its so filthy. I don't want it to do the exact same thing because of heat. Would have tig welded the shield I mocked up but I put a water pump in my wrangler today. Wouldn't you know one of the bolts broke off in the block... so needless to say it took a lot longer than anticipated. All done though. Welded a nut to the piece sticking out and after a couple attempts I was able to back it off without breaking the weld.

Edit: added the heat shield and drove the car all day. There was no drain on battery over night. So I think I'm good.

Last edited:

tektic

Found my short.

Looks like there's a pin hole leak in my water pipe and when it got wet it would short and when it was dry it wouldn't. Had the alternator checked and passed test. I'm going to insulate some more and fix the coolant leak. Not sure how, but it seems I have to take the water pipe out now.

tektic

Really? How did you figure it out? I only noticed after pulling the alternator.

NYC86ZC

Well my scernario is a bit different. I swapped out my shortblock and when I put it all back together my volts were fluctuating between 13v and 16v. It was just cycling and all the lights on the car would dim and get bright. I drove it for a bit before the volts just stayed at 16v and limped the car home. I pulled the alternator, got a warranty replacement from advance auto. I installed the alternator, went to the trunk to hookup the battery and walked up front to hear crackling and popping sounds from the relay area, and saw smoke from the alternator. I ran to the trunk to pull the power from the battery. I disconnected the cables from the alternator to see one had a slice in the sheathing that was shorting against the metal wire holder on the back of the alternator that is covered in plastic when it's not worn down. I pulled off the wire holder and moved the wires away from that same place you had an issue with and now I'm good.

Last edited:

tektic

Alternator is still drawing power. 2.6A to be exact. Here's the thing though. Its not a short to ground. So I Don't exactly understand what's happening. Testing current from the positive post on the alternator to the positive post on the battery with the rest of the car disconnected from positive I get 2.6a. Positive post to ground testing for resistance I get infinite. How or where is this circuit complete that it can draw power if not to ground?

GSTwithPSI

How are you measuring the current draw? Do you have a magnetic pickup for your DVOM or something? Or, are you actually putting the DVOM in series with the circuit?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts