The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Largest tire on a 17'' wheel?

xuberantz

I'm currently running 17x7 ADR cypher wheels with 42mm offset and I was wondering what is the largest tire I can comfortably fit on my 92 DD with stock suspension? I'm currently running 205/40/17 but the wheel gap is horrendous and the car rides like crap! I live on a very long gravel road with huge holes and very large rocks as it's often washed out so lowering is out of the question. The more ground clearance I have the better! I've always liked the larger sidewall look anyways, but I'd hate to purchase a set and have them not fit correctly.

Thanks!

coyotes

I would not go bigger than a 45 series tire on a 17" wheel. You can but it may cause rubbing issues.

92_talon_awd

225/45/17 has been my go-to size for years. I think it's the perfect balance between reduced sidewall flex without riding like a log wagon. If your road is that bad though it may be worth going down to a 16" rim to allow for more sidewall.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

^Yup! 215/45's would work too if you can find a cheap set on CL.

prove_it

I ran 225/50/17 for a while. At stock ride height it was fine. It was a monster truck though. Now I'm running 235/45/17 on EVO 8 rims. It barely rubs at 1 inch lowered with 1* camber in front.

92_talon_awd

That 1/4" can make a difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CutlassJim

I run 235/40/17's on my lowered Galant for clearance.

92_talon_awd

That's what I was thinking, 17's are nice for street and even work well for rallyX but if you are talking real nasty backroads I'd want some stockers. Just look at what the rally guys run, although their sidewalls are hellacious.

prove_it

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
That 1/4" can make a difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's what she said.

xuberantz

Anyone know if 245/45/17 fit? I know they are a bit wide, but I found a lead on a like new set very very cheap.

coyotes

you may have to roll your inner fender lips and do some other fitment work. A lot will depend on what wheels you're using too, how wide and what offset. Coilovers at this point would help a lot in fitting a wider tire properly.

Yao

Here is a pic of 245/45/17 on evo wheels.

89Patches

So?? Are you looking at getting different rims? Or you staying with the 17x7's you have.

Your question is really vague...

xuberantz

I decided to keep on the lookout for a set of cheap stock wheels and also keep my eyes open for a set of 225/45/17. I'd like to stick with my current wheels, but I also like stock wheels. I really wanted to pick up the CHEAP set of 245/45/17's I found but I'm worried about fitment.

CutlassJim

245/45's will be too tall and you SHOULD NOT put them on a 7" rim. 245/40's fit amazing on an 8" rim and sit tits on the car with a +38 or higher offset.

belize1334

It also depends on the tire. I have a set of Fuzion ZR1 (bargain summer tire) that are 235/40/17 and they're narrower than most 225/45/17s I've seen. Remember to look at the tire specs and compare the stated section width to that of your wheel. That's the only measure that actually has meaning...

Chad989of2000

215 is actually the widest recommended tire for a 7" wheel. 225 can definitely work, but above that the tire will be "pinched" down into the wheel in a\/ manner that compromises tire stiffness. 245 would be way too wide for a 7" wheel. They will fit, but they will not be track optimized.

xuberantz

I had a tire blow out shortly after I made this thread so I'm glad I made it so I could get some ideas. I decided to go with a 225/45/17. I'll post some pictures in a day or two.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts