The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#221 saved from the tweekers and back in buisness!

Vader

Hello all! Long time forum stalker, first time forum poster! I just saved #221 from a couple of tweekers about 5 days ago. I've since been pulled over three times, twice by the same cop! So much for the vr4 being a non attention grabbing grocery getter! #221 as it sits is pretty much stock with the exception of a manual boost controller, boost gauge/pod, and what I'm going to assume is a 14b turbo. Its been stiiting for aprox three years and for about a year and a half of that time it was stolen and in the hands of said tweekers. The dude I bought it from seemed to have no clue what was in his possession. He had been contacted by the authority's two weeks prior to the sale and informed that the car was found and sitting in a impound lot. So long story short... one Craig's list post, two awkward phone calls, $1200, and a peepee touch(

coyotes

Hey, welcome! My VR4 came from Vancouver, WA and I wonder if I got it from the same tweaker(s) that you did. Mine was pretty much all stock though, and while plagued with problems of its own it's in good overall shape.

There's a lot of good dudes down in Portland area who can help you with your car, thedsmguy and ehmotorsports on this forum really know their stuff. Efinix lives down there too and of course English Racing in Camas.

Your car looks like it needs some serious cleaning but always good to get it out of the hands of tweakers.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks good, besides the cosmetic issues it looks to be free of rust!

Vader

It's quite possible. I believe I remember seeing your car on Craig's list a while back! Flat black correct? Yeah the car definitely needs some serious attention but I'm quite capable and willing to give it the love it needs. After a day of mechanical attention it runs and drives great! I've already got a lot of brand new go fast parts stored up (3.5 GM maf/translator, 550cc rc injectors, FP cast race manifold, EPROM ecu, act 2600 and lightened flywheel, all poly mounts, gates blue belt/tensioner/water pump, Wally 255, wide band setup, ect...) I think I'll be placing an order for an FP green here soon. Yeah I know Paul and I've done some business with ER and ETS on past projects.

I think I'll spend this weekend with the pressure washer and try to clean her up a little. What have you been doing with yours lately?

Vader

Thanks! The only rust I've found so far is the hood obviously and a tiny bit on the edge of the drivers door where it meets the front fender. I'm gonna yard out the inner fender wells this weekend and clean/check for rust. I was surprised to find the 4WS system intact and free from rust as well!

coyotes

Quoting Vader:
It's quite possible. I believe I remember seeing your car on Craig's list a while back! Flat black correct? Yeah the car definitely needs some serious attention but I'm quite capable and willing to give it the love it needs. After a day of mechanical attention it runs and drives great! I've already got a lot of brand new go fast parts stored up (3.5 GM maf/translator, 550cc rc injectors, FP cast race manifold, EPROM ecu, act 2600 and lightened flywheel, all poly mounts, gates blue belt/tensioner/water pump, Wally 255, wide band setup, ect...) I think I'll be placing an order for an FP green here soon. Yeah I know Paul and I've done some business with ER and ETS on past projects.

I think I'll spend this weekend with the pressure washer and try to clean her up a little. What have you been doing with yours lately?

mine is not flat black, it's original paint and has some clear coat peeling on the passenger side like yours. It was up for sale in early December. I just did the water pump on it and have been finding crossthreaded and mismatched hardware along the way. Doing the manifold and turbo now, finding lots of fun surprises. Check my build thread if you want to read through it. 1226/2000.

EHmotorsports

welcome! doesn't look to far off from what I started with on my car:)

GSTwithPSI

Welcome the the forum! I was really hoping someone with some sense would save this. Looks like a solid car overall, and I bet it will clean up pretty good. That gauge pod looks interesting, how bout a few more shots of that?

You may want to start by looking into how well the CTS is working. Much of the time they can be faulty and cause extended cranking times or no-start conditions. Great buy, and looking forward to seeing what you do to it in the future.

Vader

Coyotes: Ah i see! very nice! unfortunately It seems like a lot of the Vr4's have the problem with the clear coat fading! I had a white 91' but the paint was in excellent shape! Looks like you have quite the build going on up there! I'm kind of a hardware nazi...i like every thing to be as close to oem as possible, at the very least it must all match. The guys over at Parkrose hardware and the Fastenal by my shop know me by name lol.

EHmotorspotrs: Thanks man! I was checking out your car/shop on Facebook last night! You do some awesome work! Keep it up! Ill have to swing by your shop sometime and check out your toys!

turbowop: Thanks dude! I'm starting to feel like it was quite a find for the price i picked it up for! Lots of potential! You know... I'm not quite sure... I've been told by a couple dsm guys that the valve cover came stock on a some talons. It looks like a factory paint job but at this moment I'm not quite sure...more investigation will be needed! Kinda stands out like a sore thumb at the moment though!

Slugsgomoo: You have an awesome username! Deep clean pics pending! I've got finals next week and i really should be studying this weekend but study breaks are a must! The plan is to take it down to a buddy's shop to throw it on a lift and use his industrial sized pressure washer and a little bit of super secret truck wash! Works like a charm every time! Just cant leave it on aluminum for very long or it will turn white haha

GSTwithPSI: Yeah man i was at work when i found it on Craig's list and had to wait a day before going to look at it, i was sure it would be gone by then! Fortunately i was wrong! I'm not gonna lie it was in pretty rough shape when i drove it home but totally worth the money. Vr4's are worth keeping around! The gauge pod is an interesting one...I will try and snap a couple more pictures of it for you tonight. Thanks for the tip, the wires leading to the CTS are not factory, so I'm thinking there was a break down by the throttle body somewhere. On the scan tool it says that the sensor is reading -67deg so I'm sure that's where the fault is coming from. Hopefully it cures my starting issue. Just haven't had the time to further investigate.

GSTwithPSI

-67 is a bad sign. I'd definitely say a wiring problem. Basically, you'll need to trace the 2 wires that hook up to the sensor back to the ECU. Honestly, that's the easiest/most accurate way to do it. Here's a thread that may help: click

Cliffs notes: Since Mitsubish decided to put 2 pairs of identical wires (2 Green w/ black tracer and 2 Yellow w/ green tracer) in the harness right there, you have to find which Green w/ black tracer and Yellow w/ green tracer are the right wires for the CTS. To do this, probe the ECU on pins 24 and 20. 24 is sensors ground, and 20 is the CTS signal wire. Test for continuity between pin 20 and both Yellow wires w/ green tracer. Test between pin 24 and both Green wires w/ black tracer. Whichever wires zero out on each test are the right ones for the CTS. Hook them up right and I bet the car runs 100% better.

ECU pinout

CTS wiring diagram, scroll to page 148

Last edited:

Vader

GTSwithPSI: Thanks for all the great info! If I get the time this weekend I will definetly be looking in to that! As promised here are the pictures of said interesting gasuge pod!

If you would like any others, please feel free to ask! I've decided to go a take that gauge pod out and install a boost, egt, and wideband with an aftermarket single din and a custom built shroud where the stock radio location is. Haven't made much progress on it yet but here are a couple pictures of what I've done during tonight's lunch break at work.

Haven't had much time to work on the car in the past week except for fixing minor things like the center console lid not closing properly, drivers door speaker inop, and a few other bits here and there. Just need make it through finals week!

Vader

Well its been a busy past couple of weeks! Finally finished up school and got around to cleaning out the gallant! considering the shape I got it in I think I'm on the correct path! The last couple of days has consisted of a full engine bay detail, removal of egr/evap control, fixing my idle issue (broken coolant temp sensor harness), replacing my accessory belts, installing polyurethane motor mounts, FULL interior detail (found an ant hill under my back seat, that was a nice surprise) and by far the best modification yet installing an EH Motorsports Short Shifter! If your on the fence about buying one of these, its simple don't be!

Before

After

I'm very happy how the interior came out, I spent almost two full days on it and the pictures don't to it justice. The Exterior is still ehhhh...

EHmotorsports

its always nice to see progress like this. im so glad you are bringing it back to life and not another partout:) glad you like the shifter.

GSTwithPSI

Great work! Did you get the CTS fixed and the idle issue all sorted out then?

I totally agree with Evan; it's really nice to see people putting in some work and bringing these cars back to life. When I saw this thing on Craigslist, I thought it would end up junked for sure. It's awesome to see the car is in good hands, and making a recovery. It looks a million times better already, so keep it up.

Vader

Thanks for the kind words guys! I do agree that it has come along way since the day I bought it but I've go a LONG road ahead of me to bring this car back to its original glory! I would have hated to see 221 get parted out! I believe potential is in the eye of the beholder. I did end up getting the CTS fixed. The harness broke right at the connector, I threw on some female spade connectors and it fired right up and idled perfectly. I also blocked off the egr. Now every morning it fires up right and idles down with in seconds no more constant idle surging until it warms up. I don't like the female spade connectors so I will be ordering that pigtail here soon, I believe Sheridan engineering has them available, I still have to call and verify though.

G

Staff member
That engine bay came out nice! Carpet as well. Nice save.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned