The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EGR Connection

holeshotmoe

My car just barely failed MD emissions. I do have a cat on the car. So I go looking and see the EGR valve is disconnected. Thinking I would hook that up in hopes of re-burning some of the unburned fuel. But I have a couple issues. I looked all over here and all over the web.
1. The sticker on the hood shows four TB vacuum ports. All the ones I've seen are on the top and they're marked. This one is little different. It has two on top and two on the front side. None of them are marked. Also, this motor is a 1990 eclipse.
2. The routing says it connects to the thermo valve on the thermostat housing. Mine doesn't have one. And I checked a few diagrams, including the cali version and both show a thermo valve.
So, I need a basic diagram that will let my EGR valve do it's thing, rerouting exhaust back into the intake manifold.

GSTwithPSI

This the diagram you have? No matter what, you'll need the thermo valve if you want the system to work like factory, as well as the 1000 other little solenoids required.

So what failed you? If your NOx output pegged, the egr won't help. If it was CO, then maybe egr will help, but it depends what is causing it. You should post up the data sheet from the sniffer.

Where in MD are you located?

img.php

holeshotmoe

Hey Man, thanks for the reply. I'm in Clarksburg, northern Monkey county. Are you going to the east coast shootout next Sunday?
= = =
Yes, have this one and a few others. I think I'm going to just connect "through" the thermo valve. The car will be warmed when I re-do emissions, so the temp shouldn't matter (theory :). Here are results and pics. And BTW, I have all the solenoids intact but who know how they're connected.

ktmrider

GVR4 uses Electronic Solenoids instead of a Thermo Valve like TEL's ( another name for TV is Ported Vacuum Switch ). See diagram from GST, it's the upper of the two on the left/center. Here is the TEL diagram:

Like mentioned it keeps the EGR from operating when coolant temps are below a certain value.
img.php

May need to check a diagram from the 90 models, those ports off the TB may not provide the same type of signal ( pre or post throttle plate ).

When I smogged 464 the HC's barely passed. I later found the vac routing was off including the FPR hot start circuit which was making it run rich at low RPM's ( low vac signal to FPR ).

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I'm surprised that your HC's are over 300 at idle.

That's pretty rich, assuming your catalytic is still functioning properly.

I just passed local emissions here.

Less than 5-8000 km's on a 3 way 2.5" aftermarket catalytic converter.

4g63, 7.8:1 (or a touch higher now)
HKS264/HKS272,
94 Octane,
PTE 780cc's chipped,
5 degrees base,
warm up driving then test.

I have the Cyclone installed, no EGR!!

Clean head, clean pistons, new valve stem seals, 7.8:1, new BPRES7 and NGK blues.

I was well under the 200 counts of HC per the JDM Cyclone emissions decal, more like 69 counts at idle, 12 counts at ~2500 RPM.

All the 1990 style vacuum solenoids and emissions controls are otherwise hooked up.

Maybe some of the diagrams in my members thread here will help you out in some way.

89 Mirage/Colt with a 4g61 = 1990 style DSM wiring and emissions. Small variations but mostly the same.

click

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Why in md do they make you test a 23 year old car???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
We here in the largest of populated areas of Ontario, Canada, are holding at model year 1988 forward.

My Colt is an '89. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

#stuckintheloopforeverwitha25+yearoldcar

Feel free to sign this petition:

click

Just saying ....

.... they hate the last of the good turbo cars from Japan and the people that mod them.

Nothing else from that era is still left on the road here.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts