The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear KYB AGX install question. Need Help.

vtgalant120

I purchased front and rear kyb agx shocks for my 1991 galant vr4. My question is in regards to the rear. The rear struts have the metal ring inside the lower mounting hole. This will not fit over the stock post that the lower mount sits on. Has anyone else removed this metal ring and installed the kyb agx in the rear? What did you remove the ring with?

When I removed the stock original rear struts I thought the ring was going to slide off with a few whacks, but it ended up being a big pain in the ass and unless that ring soldered itself to the post I don't see how this is suppose to work? With my measurement, removing that ring the strut should slide on (with a good greasing)

I would appreciate any insight and personal experience with this. Thank you

gvr4ever

Post pictures. I suspect that your stock shock separated and part of it is stuck on. I had that problem with mine. I had to carefully use a cutting wheel to get the inside ring. If your not sure, post a picture.

ApexHunter

^ That'd be my guess as well. I had what seems to be the same problem when removing my AGX's to install some BC's. The rear lower mount's inner collar separated from the rubber bushing, and some nasty corrosion meant it wasn't coming off without a fight. Eventually i got it off.

Cleaned up the spindle.

And installed the new rear shock.

vtgalant120

Thanks guys, that is what i figured. I just wanted to make sure this was the problem and it is. 20 years of weather would do that. Now I can remedy the problem fairly easily.

Thanks again for both of your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cutting tool is coming out.

Wookalar

Had this problem on one of my old dsms, I used a torch and heated that sucker up, then just cranked on it with a pipe wrench and it rotated off.

ApexHunter

I went at it with MAP gas torch, SOB wouldn't budge. I ended up having to cut it and then pry it open like a clam shell, then was able to twist off.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts