The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HIDS????

GVR41380

What is a good brand of HID's that i could install on my Vr4? i need some help i dont know what ones to get. I was thinking of the 6000k ones. If any of you guys that have a HID kit on your galant please let me know what is a good brand. Thanks Shane

transparentdsm

id say don't do it, i had a set in 1078 and they would short from hitting bumps. i only had them on the low beams, this is how the car came and i looked into doing it for the high beams as well and the cost of them compared to a good set of bulbs made it not worth the HID's. just clean your glass real well or get 93 clear headlights and get better bulbs. just my .02 - Shane

Last edited:

fourforty

i had some in when i bought my car. i have taken them out. but i plan to put them back in. they were not too bad. i'm going to reroute the wiring because they were just shoved in the first time. it ended with one of the ballast getting fried from split coolant. so be careful! and good luck. let us know how it goes.

GVR41380

thanks for your help, i want hids so bad they would look sick!

coyotes

Quoting GVR41380:

It would be awful in a VR4. We don't have a projector style housing, which is what you need to properly retrofit HIDs in a car that doesn't have them. Our glass housing would just scatter the beam and blind everybody. You can get the crap Ebay kit if you just want the look, because you definitely won't get the performance.

transparentdsm

Quoting GVR41380:

if your going to do it, do it right. just what dustyduff does click if your not doing it like this DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

img.php

jnava

Staff member
Phillips is one of the few good manufacturers and there is another German company. I forgot who it is but Phillips is a good one.

manikbastrd

I definitely won't bash you for wanting HID's. I like having better illumination. Not a fan of colored ones, but make sure to spend the money and do it right as mentioned above. We don't need our cars ending up looking like every Honda and WRX on the road...

coyotes

Just polish your headlights nice and get some good syvanias or something. Old school cars should stick with old school lighting. Granted this is just my opinion but I think HIDs look way out of place on early 90s cars.

Wookalar

Quoting GVR41380:
What is a good brand of HID's that i could install on my Vr4? i need some help i dont know what ones to get. I was thinking of the 6000k ones. If any of you guys that have a HID kit on your galant please let me know what is a good brand. Thanks Shane

The most oem like color range is 4500 "kelvin" or candle power, or 5000. Anything higher than that and you are getting into a light that is more harmful to your vision than helpful. Not to mention, the oem galant housings were not made for a high intensity discharge bulb, the stock housing has no cut off line built in so you will be throwing light at all different angles into oncoming traffic.

You want hid's, do it the correct way. Send them to a knowledgable shop that does auto lighting upgrades, or get busy on fiberglassing a new housing that integrates a proper projector or cut off. Couple people on here have done it.

Google, there is much info on this topic.

prove_it

Quoting GVR41380:

No, just no. No, seriously no.

They blind other drivers so bad it's bad. It's just bad. Don't do it. Don't follow the Honda crowd when it comes to the GVR4. Our headlights do not work well with HID due to the prisms in the lenses.

Spend your money on ball joints, tie rods, a good suspension, replace the fluids, etc.

Seriously.

mitsuturbo

Quoting coyotes:
they all suck.

Listen to this guy. He knows.

Or don't. And take the first step toward making your possibly perfectly decent VR4 into a riced out shitbox. Hell, while you're at it you may as well get a neon green license plate frame, and some underbody glow tubes.

prove_it

Dont forget the wing!

Jesus_Negros

Quoting coyotes:
they all suck.

I like you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned