The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which colors were available for our cars?

donkeylips

...Or should I say the non-USDM GVR4s. Of course we all have access to the production numbers of the SW, BG, and NB 91 cars and the SW, BG, NB, and KG 92 cars.

But what other colors were the pre-facelift and post-facelift JDM VR4s available in? Looks like the Nordic Blue and silver color (both Galant GSX colors) were available. Was the nordic blue a pre-facelift only color? And was Kensington Grey a post-facelift only color?
Was Belize Green available for those cars?

And what about the Galant GSX? I only ever see them in blue, silver, gold, and white.

Boostdtalon

I've seen a burgundy colored LS in a junkyard. Not sure if it was factory. I think the other countries got a bright red color too.

dsm10o0

My dad had a dark blue gs and a silver gsx. Id like to know the paint code for the galant blue.

ghostinthevr4

Quoting Boostdtalon:
I've seen a burgundy colored LS in a junkyard. Not sure if it was factory. I think the other countries got a bright red color too.

I've seen a burgundy one on the road one day, I'm pretty sure it's a factory color.

fuel

Keep in mind USDM colours are specific to the US only and are not shared with JDM or other world markets. Summit white is not the same as Sophia white, and Kensington Grey is not the same as Grace Silver etc.

From what I can work out so far, colours available for the JDM 89.10 onwards facelift are Chateau Silver, Grace Silver and Super Cosmic Blue. From the 90.08 second facelift Lamp Black and Kutani Red were added. I think Kutani Red is the same burgandy found on the AUDM models.

More info here - click

donkeylips

The USDM cars are so simple; wish we had all the info readily available.

Why would a car company use two different versions of white for different markets?
After a search I did see that there might be a W09 and WA9.

They have to have had K-grey in other markets.
I bought a JDM gas door from New Zealand (I assumed it was from a JDM car - unless it was from an Australian spec GVR4 (not sure what kind of gas door the ADM cars had). It was already KG and a perfect match for my car.

And the car that was for sale here is the exact same color as my USDM GGSX (Nordic Blue which is B96).

fuel

maybe they are the same shade of paint but have different names, as B96 also comes up as 'Super Cosmic Blue'

I know the Lamp black on my '91 JDM is not the same as Nile black as mine is a solid colour with no metallic in it.

Do you know the colour code for Kensington Grey? The JDM fuel door you would have got is 'Chateau Silver' which is H52 which is a dark grey colour.

Last edited:

donkeylips

The firewall plate on my KG says H52.
What's the color code for your black JDM car?

I wonder if there's any way to find the production numbers on the number of blue E38A and E39A cars. And I really want to know what years that blue color was available. I wish I had a JDM brochure with a full list of colors offered for that particular year.

And is there any way to get the paint code from ASA or CAPS?

fuel

mine is X94. And yes CAPS/ASA shows the interior and exterior trim when you enter the chassis/VIN number.

89Mirageman

I've seen a beige/gold colored Galant GSX. There is a 93 Galant at the local junkyard that is a silver/blue color, kinda hard to describe w/o seeing it. Would have looked awesome on the GVR4's though IMO.

fuel

JDM 89.10 to 90.08 models had a two-tone available - lamp black over chateau silver

1021862.jpg

1021869.jpg

I used to have an NZDM base model Galant (4G37 power!), locally assembled in NZ therefore had an NZ-specific Dulux 'Glacier Blue' paint scheme. I fitted JDM bumpers and door claddings from a Grace Silver JDM VZ-S so it ended up being two tone blue over silver and looked OK. Strangely enough, in NZ the 4th and 5th gen Galants (badged as a Sigma) was available factory with the Glacier Blue and Grace Silver two tone scheme!

DSCF0519.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

89Mirageman

It's hard to tell if that's the exact color of the one at the junkyard but its close.

fuel

can't seem to link the larger images but go to this site and click on the smaller pics, that's an NZDM GLX in Glacier Blue metallic. click

donkeylips

ASA calls KG HB2, but it's really H52.
It calls BG GB1, but it's really G31.
It doesn't have interior/exterior listed for my GGSX.

My white 93 Mirage is W83T, should be W83
A white Evo II RS is W83M

In ASA Japan, E39A-0010800 (3/3 in 10/1988) and below have no exterior code.
E39A-0010801 (1/3 in 1/1988) and above do.

For E38A, E38A-0001025 (3/3 in 10/1988) and below have no exterior code.
E38A-0001026 (2/3 in 2/1989) and above do.

It seems like they list exterior codes for JDM cars built after October 1988. My GGSX was built in November of 1989 and still doesn't list it.

Last edited:

fuel

what does your GGSX say on the firewall build plate?

donkeylips

It's in storage, but I think it's B96.

slugsgomoo

Quoting fuel:
maybe they are the same shade of paint but have different names, as B96 also comes up as 'Super Cosmic Blue'

I know the Lamp black on my '91 JDM is not the same as Nile black as mine is a solid colour with no metallic in it.

Do you know the colour code for Kensington Grey? The JDM fuel door you would have got is 'Chateau Silver' which is H52 which is a dark grey colour.

+1. I have a set of JDM bumpers that are real, real close to KG, but they are not the same, and you can definitely tell if it's bright out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ughdunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts