The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any 4g63 pros in Washington (Seattle) ?

coyotes

I am waiting for my mechanic to finish up my timing belt job, but I am hoping once it's done to not drive it until I can have someone verify the timing for me. Is anyone local and willing to help out? I just don't have garage space or time to do it myself right now, otherwise I would not be in this predicament. I can't trust my mechanic to have done it properly, so I am hoping someone local who knows what they are doing can help me out and check out the engine and make sure it's done right.

Anyone out there? I can pay money, beer, whatever.

coyotes

My mechanic is just a small shop mechanic, he says he has worked on DSMs and used to have his own Talon, but he does not seem to know what he is doing with my car. He did the timing belt, but it slipped tension. It's being fixed right now but I still don't trust the work he's doing. If I had known he didn't know what he was doing I would never have had him do it. If I had a garage now I'd have just done it myself. But it is what it is, and I'd rather have my car checked out to be ok and move on from this.

EHmotorsports

I so wish I was closer:( sorry you are having a bad time with that guy.

transparentdsm

wish i was local to you, id be there in a second. i love wrenching on these cars.

EH how far are you from NIKE ? i sometimes head up there. like once a year.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Quoting transparentdsm:
wish i was local to you, id be there in a second. i love wrenching on these cars.

EH how far are you from NIKE ? i sometimes head up there. like once a year.

I am about 2-3 miles from the NIKE HQ. stop by next time you're in the area.

coyotes

OK. Car has made it home safe. Mechanic said he did not properly tension a pulley which led to the slippage. So.. trust him? Or don't drive the car until I can have someone check it out to be sure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif No damage to the engine, it runs just as before.

I have a truck and will be driving that in the meantime. Still hoping to find someone to come help me out with my car, lest it slip timing again.

EHmotorsports

Only way to check it out would be to pull it down and inspect the belt and tensioner. Pretty much another timing belt job to verify.

coyotes

yes but at least nothing has to be removed in there, just a check of the tensioners and proper torque and alignment. Timing is correct at least, since it runs fine.

Still think I am going to get that extra motor together sooner than later, so don't worry, I probably will be sending some more work your way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EHmotorsports

Ya that's the easy part. Hard part is getting to it haha

GSTwithPSI

I think him screwing it up will actually work in your favor if it does fly apart again. Since he admitted to being at fault the first time, there's no question that if it fails before normal service interval, it was probably his doing. But, since he's such a small time guy like you described, he'd probably tell you to pound sand before covering a valve job, or worse, if it was his fault. Maybe not, but most of my experience with small time mechanics was always pretty shitty.

I remember when I did my first 4G63 timing belt, I was paranoid as hell. I drove around for a month without the timing cover on, checking the belt like a mad man.

A lot of times, if the belt isn't tensioned properly, it will actually slip at rest when the car is off. One thing you can do is remove the upper timing cover, and just visually inspect in the morning or before you start the car after sitting. It's normal for the belt to slack up some overnight, but never to the point where you could physically lift the belt and move the cam gear. There's no science to it, you just have to make your best educated guess. Aside from that, it's just like the other guys said, it has to be completely torn down to really see if it was done correctly.

VR_IV_MR

I would do what it takes to get over to english racing...

coyotes

If I could tow it 3 hours to them I could bring it to any other number of trustworthy people. While I can tow it, there has to be an easier solution.

EfiniX

Andre (PINA Motorsports) is in Kent, but last I heard he got himself a 9-5.

English is good, but if you can get as far as Camas, you can make it to EHM and Evan is worth the drive 100%

Last edited:

coyotes

he is but it would be stupid to take it all the way down to Oregon just to verify the timing is correct. I just don't have the time or space or it would have been done by myself by now. Hopefully will be finding someone up here to do it soon.

I suppose I could just assume he fixed it correctly and it is safe to drive on now but I would rather not risk it. I always pay the price for cutting corners or otherwise being stupid with my cars.

Last edited:

moneypit

Pina went under. Good riddance, I say. That shop ripped me off so bad my ass still hurts. Everybody keeps hyping up Pina. Who's actually had Pina work on their car? Yeah, that's what I thought. If there 's any justice "Grocery getter" lost everything including his house. Oh yeah, the alleged "break in" at the shop. Can you say INSURANCE FRAUD? Karma's a bitch, ain't it Andre.

coyotes

who do you have work on your car moneypit? is there anyone trustworthy in the Seattle area to touch 4g63s? I am close to you, down in Renton.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts