The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#659/1000

VRfoo

Hey all.... Just picked up #659/1000 ...This is my first vr4 and just wanted to say hello... She needs a little love but nothing crazy... I was told it has a bad balance shaft bearing, not sure which one yet but there was bearing chunks in the pan last time it was serviced... I plan on doing the BSEK from the bottom... Not new to working on vehicles but new to DSMs...any tips? I've read the vfaq alot and it seems pretty straight forward but still new to me lol. Thanks in advance I hear this forum is an awesome community...

EHmotorsports

Welcome!! another local that's great! The BSE is easiest when the engine is out of the car. but if you have bearing material you should really take the engine down and at least clean/ rebuild the engine. that material will be in all of the oiling system. head,block,oil cooler, turbo. and can cause possible failures in the future.

EfiniX

And because you are a local, you should know right out of the gate that EHmotorsports (Evan) is an accomplished mechanic and an all-around great guy. He's doing an engine swap on 543/1000 for me now after a failed injector burned up a piston ring.

VRfoo

Thanks thats good to know..I was thinking that a tear down might be needed. Apparently the bearing actually fell out right after installation...the guy I got if from told me that he had the oil pump and cover replaced at a shop and right after is when it started knocking/poor idling/leaking oil...is there a "good" cheap ebay gasket set? I come from a subaru background and its oem all the way...

turbohf

welcome!

i use these guys a lot click pricing is usually the best, gaskets are pretty good (had a couple shady looking valvecover gaskets) and pretty complete. i think i have only used them for Honda motor builds. think i just got my GVR4 gaskets from parts store/felpro + Cometic headgasket (from streetrays). used plenty of King and ACL bearings from the link i posted to, and of course NPR rings/pistons are always good. im sure i have a couple dozen feedbacks from them on my ebay account lol

turbohf

i would not use those exhaust gaskets.

turbohf

click
still looks like the same junk exhaust gaskets.

click balance shaft removal

click rings

actually... click here is a whole setup.

Last edited:

VRfoo

well...i finally got my 4g out and tore apart and its a good thing i went this route instead of just the bsek ...the oil pump gears cover and pump houising are toast from the bs bearing falling out. unfortunately it took the main/rod bearing and crank with it...ill post some pics later..so now im looking at pretty much a rebuild...good news is she doesnt need any machine work just some cleaning and a bunch of new parts hahaha....does anyone sell a new crank that isnt 900 dollars? anyone have a cheap used one?

transparentdsm

make sure to take those rods in to make sure that the crank side isn't out of round. with everything chewed up like that, even if it wasn't making any clanking, they could have gotten knocked around a bit.

VRfoo

I've been reading alot on cut and polished 4g63 cranks and it is really back and forth... Some people turn em with no probs and others say no way.. Has anyone had experience with a turned crank? This motor won't see big hp numbers and I would like to run it but not if its a ticking time bomb...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts