The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head reconditioning

socalgvr4

I picked up a vr4, with some level of tapping that goes away at some level coming from what looks close to cylinder 1 (i havent pulled the valve cover off yet). I also am exhibiting some weird behavior where the car hesitates badly at 4k.

Also the car doesnt overheat, but exhibits some white smoke -- im guessing coolant

Also, from inside the car i can smell a sweet smell - likely coolant and perhaps the heater core? -- but it could be something else. I dont want to put a red herring into my problem solving here, but i figured i mention it.....

In an effort to get ahead of the curve, I'd like some recommendations on things tolook at (and yep familiar with vfaq) :

*Determine if the valve seals have gone bad, and how id know
* figuring out where that nasty little noisy lifter or "tap" is coming from

*Recommendations of replacing valves, vale seals, springs, keeps, etc.

Akash

Last edited:

BogusSVO

If you are blowing white smoke, you should be going through coolant.

Now blue oil smoke is close to coolant white smoke. oil smoke is white with a blue tinge to it.

If you are blowing blue smoke,all the time, that would be rings.

If it is a puff of blue smoke on start up, or idle time, stop lights n such, that would be valve seals.

If it is a trail of blue smoke after boosting and on decell, that points to turbo seals.

Smelling that sweet smell inside the passenger compartment, is a strong sign of a bad heater core.

If it is bad enough, you should see a puddle under the car, coming from the AC drain.

Before you go spending cash, run a few tests so you will know what you need and not just guess at it.

Start with the basics, compression test and leak down test. Next if you can get your hands on one, a coolant system pressure test.

You can also drop the turbo intake pipe, and check for shaft play.

Pull the valve cover and take a look at the valve seal through the spring. Look for what color they are. Reg, Grey, Black, orange or blue.

Also you can quick check the HLA's, with the toe of the cam up (valve fully closed) press on the end of the follower, the HLA should have little play, if you find one that is spongey, it is bad.

Take notes on your findings and report back.

No need to go through the head and bolt it back into place if the rings or turbo is shot.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts