The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

forward facing turbo

90ggsx

Is there a manifold that's made to fit the galant, or does it have to be custom made? Any info would be greatly appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMX5636

JMF is currently building a 1G FF exhaust manifold. I'm sure it would clear in a Galant with a half rad and some creativity. As far as I know, no off the shelf Galant "specific" though.

TylerAdamson

The only Galant specific manifold I can think of is the top mount offering from JMFab. All others I've seen have been custom one off pieces.

slugsgomoo

Are you building a street car with a forward facing inlet? I always wondered about filtration options doing that myself...

In any case, if it's a track car, why not do the fab yourself so you can get it where you want it to suit your own setup, while you're at it cut the front end off and tube that, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

90ggsx

It will mainly be for the track, but occasionally it will be on the street. I'll probably just use a screen or something. There are some vettes around here that need to get shut down. But I guess I'll be going with the jmfab haha. I'm not talented enough to do it myself.

slugsgomoo

I doubt you need a forward facing manifold to go and shut down corvettes unless they're deep single digit cars, and if they are either a) you should already know the answer to this question or B) you have enough money for someone to do this for you.

Take it from someone who has gone through some of the issues of trying to jump into the deep end rather than swimming out there. I still think i'd have had more fun and gone faster if I'd stuck with the 16g until I tapped it out. YMMV though.

Build a 2.1L long rod destroker with a dry sump, GT45R and methanol. Don't forget to switch to an auto to reduce parts breakage and then go out and shatter records.

thecman02

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Are you building a street car with a forward facing inlet? I always wondered about filtration options doing that myself...

In any case, if it's a track car, why not do the fab yourself so you can get it where you want it to suit your own setup, while you're at it cut the front end off and tube that, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

146730-0-0-0.jpg

149680-0-0-0.jpg

This is how I run my filter on a forward facing setup. Its a short stack K&N.

90ggsx

They aren't single digit cars that's for sure. They got maybe half a car on a ep3 civic that traps about 130 in 1/4 on slicks, but when they raced the civic was on street tires. I know I don't need to go forward facing, I was just seeing what the options were.

TylerAdamson

Aside from the unique factor why go with a forward facing manifold? There are plenty of guys in the single digits with their turbos in a standard mounted fashion.

prove_it

An FP race manifold will cost a quarter of what you want to do. That's how part outs happen. Oh I'm going to do all this crazy cool stuff---- two years later it's getting parted cause it got too expensive.

Why reinvent the wheel?

90ggsx

Like I said, I was just seeing what the options were. Haha trust me, this car won't be getting parted out. The car isn't even finished and am already in love with it!

prove_it

Time and money open up any option you want. Good to hear there's another GVR4 lover.

90ggsx

Its just a gsx, but it will be somewhat the same with a little time, I am going to keep the gsx emblem though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Meh, almost close enough. It's not a real VR4, but it is more rare.

thecman02

To be fair I had a FP manifold setup with this exact same turbo. I changed the turbine housing from a bolt on to a twin scroll housing and picked up 100whp. The FP manifold really is the best setup if your looking for anything south of 500whp and need reliability. The main thing I would recommend is getting the appropriate FP turbo to compliment the setup. I had a bojankass BEP bolt on housings mated to this turbo and it was not a good setup.

The main benefit of the forward facing is realized in drag racing. I can easily stick a bell-mouth on my turbo and have it at the leading edge of my car. This maximizes ram air effect. Its pretty much the equivalent of extending your compressor map to the right. A well designed intake on a conventional turbo setup will net you basically the same results though.

prove_it

Exactly. I've seen guys just take a 3" intake pipe with a single 90* elbow and have the inlet face forward and basically come out below the headlight. Wasn't a mitsu, but still same idea. We made 900whp on our shop evo and had just a straight inlet that took air from behind the headlight. Save the forward facing for drag only set-ups that don't see the street.

90ggsx

I honestly didn't even think about that, thanks a bunch for the input! I'm really enjoying my stay on this site, seems like a bunch of knowledgeable people who want to help others, its a nice change compared to other forums. I have a question though, how many posts does it take to drop the "noob" status, I'm seeing a bunch of parts in the for sale section that would help me finish the car, and I know for idahomotorsports its 100, is it the same here? I've tried researching it, but I might be looking in the wrong spot.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned