The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

After 2 months I finally got car back from Atlantic Motor Sports

WesternMD_VR4

Ok guys my car has been in shop for almost 2 months.. What original was a tune and adjust timing turned into a 2600$ job... Now I have supertech valves , cometic?? Multi layer head gasket and a few other goodies.. It was dynoed at 364 but the idle is rough and they said its bc of some seals??? In the throttle body?? And they are leaking air which is robbing me of about 50-60Hp.. Has anyone heard of this? Is it coming they say it's robbing me of hp and it's the reason my idle a lil rough

Last edited by a moderator:

BogusSVO

Yes leaky shaft seals is common enough, and will case a boost leak andif bad enough a off boost vac leak.

The rough idle, well I can not say if that would be a cause of leaking shaft seals, surging idle I could see.

364, dyno'ed, and they felt you needed a cometic MLS? Funny how the OE composite and Felpro 9627PT HG have both been deep 500hp and held over 30psi.

50-60HP.. sounds a bit off, that would be around 7-10 psi boost pressure increase.
I just can not seal leaky seals being that bad, unless they are just gone.

Hope both the block and head surfaces are perfect.

With them changing valves and HG, sounds like the timing belt jumped or snapped, causing the valves to meet pistons.

Pop your upper T-belt cover off and see if you have a new timing belt too.

WesternMD_VR4

Well they tuned it for 24psi but they said if fixed throttle seals they would tune for 30psi which would take me just over 400hp, yes the head was completely redone at the machine shop the head is amazing.. And it spiked it will go up over 1k then back down but when I am driving it is fine.. And yes it is a new timing belt.. It is exposed they completely rebuilt head I am just going by what they told me

BogusSVO

Well sounds like all you need now is to rebuild the TB. There are some "kits" out with seals and all. get that done, and do a BLT and see how the idle is then.

WesternMD_VR4

Ok I wasn't sure where to begin looking if that's something I could get on ebay cheap or what.. Or if I had to buy the whole TB in a whole

BogusSVO

From what I understand there is 3 different shaft seals available.

A stock replacement
A metal clad
and a MilSpec

I would say go one level higher than what you need

TylerAdamson

On my last tb rebuild I used the MilSpec seals and they worked great for the few weeks I had 934 up and running.

TB's.com is where I got mine from. I think JNZ also carries them.

James

I think I got mine from either RRE or JNZ

G

Staff member
Ams in il?

mitsuturbo

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
Well they tuned it for 24psi but they said if fixed throttle seals they would tune for 30psi which would take me just over 400hp, yes the head was completely redone at the machine shop the head is amazing.. And it spiked it will go up over 1k then back down but when I am driving it is fine.. And yes it is a new timing belt.. It is exposed they completely rebuilt head I am just going by what they told me

They charged you $2600 and couldn't take the time to replace your f***ing TB seals? Something doesn't sound right about that. Is AMS now surfing on their name and reputation, are you an exception to what others have experienced, or have they always gouged people and bent them over like that?

WesternMD_VR4

i asked them about the seals and they said "the only concern is i dont have the tool we had to have machined to fix the evo throttle bodies...if they are diff. sizes..we wont be able to install them the proper way" this is what they replied in email..and also they "forgot" to put the strut bar back on when they fixed head it was laying in my back seat...heres what i got for 2600$

supertech valves - 264.99
cylinder head gasket - 72.30
complete vehicle check up - 285$
labor service - 65$
head labor - 350$
cylinder head rebuild - 900$
set timing - 21.76$
test and tune - 550$
ngk spark plugs - 48$
shop supplies - 36$

Last edited:

BogusSVO

WOW!!

$264 for the ST valves sounds right, but add $900 for the head build!! What all was included in the build? Valve job and surface I am sure. New guides? New springs? or did they just install the old stock springs? Or have you done a valve spring up grade? Any port work done? Cams?

Maybe they added the cost of the new belt into the cost of the head....

$48 for NGK plugs??? are they the stock copper cores for about $3.00 each from the part store? ot some la-te-day fancy plugs?

WesternMD_VR4

there NGK Iridiums..as for the head it was completely rebuilt i think all new lifters springs etc

Last edited:

BogusSVO

Well go pull them out... that is a good chance of your rough idle issue, Drop some NGK copper cores in there, gapped to .028

The part number is something like a BPR6E

I am sure another member will chime in if I listed the wrong part number

You think new lifters and springs?? You do not know?? Sounds like you need to pull your VC and check.

Last edited:

WesternMD_VR4

really? its that simple of a fix? good god i would love to spend a few dollars on spark plugs then try to repair the throttle body...but if that affecting my idle? my car when im cruising is fine tho

mitsuturbo

Rather than say something negative here, or comment on the amounts paid for some of the services, i'm just going to say that i'm extremely glad i do all my own work and source all my own parts. Knowing exactly what machine work should cost, how long it should take, and what it should look like when it's done appears to have saved me many thousands of dollars over the years.

Oh, and anything beyond standard NGK BPR7ES or any similar variety is REALLY not necessary for our cars. It honestly doesn't really matter what the electrode is made of. Usually the ceramic will crack and leak spark before the electrode will degrade.

WesternMD_VR4

well thats fair i mean the car deff has more power than when i dropped it off it is a big difference but it still burns so rich its ridiculous...i thought they would fix this in the tune unless it has something to do with the "TB" i wish i knew more about it...it still will go nuts on the a/f ratio but it drives fine except the idle

BogusSVO

For about $12 and 30 mins to swap out the spark plugs you will know.

Mitsuturbo, Some guys have the time and skill set to build there own rides, others are check book builders.

But I understand what you are saying, and do agree with you on one hand, but by no means makes it right for a guy who is a check book builder to get taken advantage of. A fair price for a fair service/product I can understand.

But if you have seen some of the stuff I have over the years or hell, just this week, and you hear the price they paid.. I just find it upsetting.

G

Staff member
Quoting G:
Ams in il?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts