The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello all, new to the Vr4, 400awhp plan.

Vr4door

Hey! New to the Vr4 and owned only one 2g gsx about a year ago. Picked up a 91 890/2000 Vr4 about a month ago with 93k original for a steal so decided I would build it, go figure. The plan is 400awhp streetable and even, fingers crossed, daily driveable. Well here is a list of the mods, after much research, I was thinking to reach my goal. (excluding maintenance, tranny, tcase, etc. because I have already got those taken care of.) All input, advice, other options, experiences and all around comments are appriciated.

Also keep in mind I will be running e85 as I live right down the street from the pump and love the stuff!
List may be a little out of order, have spelling errors and maybeeven missing some stuff so I appologize in advance, again feel free to comment on anything.

Cams - BC 272/272
Springs/retainers - Manley single spring and titanium retainers
Fuel pump - rewired walbro 255
AFPR - already have an aftermarket afpr on there not sure what brand, came with the car, but might keep it as it looks to be working properly)
Injectors - FIC blue max low z 1350cc (what do you guys think for e85 on the hx35?)
Ecu management - ECULink v3 full or lite(not sure if running SD or not, suggestions?) with the EPROM
Turbo - Hx35 8 blade with BEP housing (not sure how many psi I will run just yet for my goal, maybe 23-26?)
Exhaust mani - 2g ported
02 housing - MAP 38mm external wastegate recirc to exhaust ( Is this a good size or bigger?)
FMIC - ETS 10inch FMIC kit
BOV - TiAL 50mm Q recirc BOV
MBC - Voodoo MBC
Gauges - Not sure on brand yet, but wideband a/f and boost
Exhaust - No idea need to do more research of what will fit but definately 3inch no CAT

So that's about it for now, somethings may be too much for the goal or not enough so just let me know. I will continue to do more research and add to the list while also considering all input.

THANKS GUYS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

transparentdsm

Go v3 full with SD.
Oil pressure gauge
removed b/s and ported oil filter housing

Also i have a huge intercooler that id be willing to sell but you need a civic or scorroco rad to fit it. Its 12H x 24L x 4Dthats the core and overall its 36L

galant651

all looks pretty good to me, injectors should be fine with the turbo you might get close to the 70% duty cycle at some spots but should be fine. hx35 should run awesome. i have one on 651, and if properly setup ( head studs, mls/ cometic head gasket, good build) you should easily be able to get close to high 20s or low 30s. a 38mm wastegate should also work good as long as its quality, depending on how fast you spool it you might have a little bit of boost spike, so if you dont want that i would go a little bigger, or vent to the atmosphere. other than that looks like your on your way. good luck.

Egalloway

Go bigger on the injectors in case you want to grow later. I didn't and I'm regretting and paying for it now. I'd get the stealth 340lph pump and install kit. It flows more than a 255 by a long shot without a hot wire kit. It's shocking how much more it flows just at idle than a 255 not even considering full power. I installed one to start e85 with and havent looked back at my old 255. With e85 again go bigger or your gonna buy again if you up the power level and keep everything in safe operating levels anyway.

Vr4door

Awesome! Thank you guys for your advice. Going to be looking into the walbro E85 450 fuel pump after reading up on it.

90ggsx

I know there is quite a difference, but my older brother is running a 20g turbo on his 1g gsx with 1650cc bluemax injectors, and even when he turns the boost up to about 27-28ish psi he gets maybe 50ish for the duty cycle on e85 and base fuel pressure. So the 1350cc should be good for what you want, because he's making around 420awhp on 20psi. He also has v3 lite and I love that program and so does he, full is going to be better but there isn't anything wrong with lite.

By the way, the BC 272 cams can be a bitch to get them to idle right, something about their lift or duration is weird.

90ggsx

They are great if you get them to idle right, and they move air like crazy. I keep talking about my brothers car because I'm still waiting to get my motor back from the machine shop so I can put everything together, but since he put the BC 272 cams in his car it went from falling off majorly up top, to making around 400 tq from 3500rpm to 7200 and drops to about 380 by 8k and holding his 420 hp from 3500 to 8k. Overall your set up should work great together, and make damn good power all the way through your power band. Also with getting more injector than what you need, you can always turn the boost up a little and make bigger numbers.

galant651

wow if hes making that much power on a 20g you should be able to bump that up a couple extra ponies just from the higher airflow of the hx35. also if you go with that big of cams and have the fuel power i would go with a holset super 40, youll flow alot more air and without that much more spool time.

90ggsx

Definitely, as soon as he decides to go with a bigger turbo, he'll be making damn good power. But he has little things done to his car that make major differences. No balance shafts, 2g pistons with 1g rods, ported head, 272 cams, beehive springs with BC retainers, full 3 inch intercooler piping, poly motor mounts, full 3 inch TBE, walboro 255, arp's, yadda yadda, Idk what it is, but his car keeps up with, and walks built, big turbo evos all day. It's ridiculous even on 30psi with a evo3 16g, his intake temps were only 95 degrees after a 3rd and 4th gear pull. But I plan on being able to do roughly the same thing with the galant I'm building /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back on topic though, do you have any pictures of your car? I'm definitely going to stick around and see where this thing goes!

Egalloway

Yeah those numbers don't match a 20g at 20 psi. Cams or not, 3 inch everything or not the 20g is still just 640cfm turbo, the super 20g is only 680. Maybe 30psi that power level makes more since. Not being a dick but the numbers don't add up.

90ggsx

And you sir, are just like the people that inspire him to do what he does. If he's not making that much power at 20psi, please explain to me how he pulls on cars who have went on a dyno, put down similar numbers, with the weight of the vehicles being damn near identical? Explain that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The proofs in the puddin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

slugsgomoo

Unless it's at the track, what happens on the street isn't that relevant. Their car could weigh more, they could suck at driving, etc. Unless he's been on the rollers and has a print out with 400whp @ 20psi, no one is going to believe that.

Hell, I logged 36lb/min on a 14b with pump gas on dsmlink, is it likely that I was making over 350hp with it? Supremely doubtful, as I know what the boost level and mods were. 20g + cams + modest compression bump @ 20psi isn't 400 at the wheels, unless you can prove me wrong my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif is flying.

90ggsx

I completely understand where you are coming from, but when I've witnessed, and been in the car when he has ran with cars, and hung with them and they consistently ran 11.7 at the track it says something. I don't care if corrected its 380 to the wheels, or 400 on the dot, he's right around there. With out witnessing the car in person, or racing it, you won't understand. But he should be out at the track the 21st, and I'll post the numbers up at that point in time and tell me if I'm wrong.

turbowop

I'd much rather see actual numbers than street comparisons. And I wanna see trap speeds before I see E.T.'s. Maybe the other cars had great 1/4mile drivers. It blows me away at how quick some people can drive these things down the track when zero fucks are given. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif There have been many times where somebody was quicker than me, yet trapped less and put down less horsepower.

Egalloway

Numbers are numbers man. Engines are pumps cfm cc and compression in a certain displacement. Don't know how many "400+" cars I've seen barely break 300 on the rollers, egos broken when reality checks in, suddenly that red light to red light race they beat that big turbo evo on makes since, it wasn't spooled and shifted.
Trap speed and et tell a lot, ultimately they prove what you and your toy can do but dyno sheets give a snap shot of what it can do flat out without a laggy driver or poor traction or crappy launch.
So I'm still calling bs on 420whp at 20 psi on a 640cfm 20g in a 2.0 displacement. So prove me wrong post a pull sheet or time slip.

InitialdVR4

Good to see your loving the car. wish i had time for her
but seems it's in good hands. keep the updates coming would love to see what the outcome is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

90ggsx

What you aren't realizing is these weren't stop light to stop light races. Its also not a stock car running a 20g, and that's where everyone is missing out on why I believe the numbers this car can put down. Its built the same way, and to the same extent as a lot of 10 second cars, but instead of a big turbo, its a 20g.

90ggsx

click

430-450 at 22psi. But once he gets to the track and gets a decent pass I'll post the outcome. I'm not here for a ego contest, so don't think I'm being a douche, but I deal with this consistently, no one believes the car is as fast/powerful as I say it is until they line up with it, or ride in it.

Egalloway

Those are crank numbers, pull 15% for whp. Most 20g turbos are going to make 325-350 whp at 20psi, the duty cycle you give on injectors matches that range. To the original poster enjoy your car, go bigger on fuel system regardless and get a good tune on a dyno. Don't seat of the pants dyno or use street races to quote power numbers or charts showing crank power.
I'm out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts