The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of fluids

Shawnpg2013

Im in the process of rebuilding. My galant im new in the car scene its almost done and tryitng to figure what the best fluids for my car any recommends

transparentdsm

2 things, there is no info on you car and this is a topic discussed often, use the search.

that being said welcome to the board and i use rotella t 15w40. i have a mildly built car and i daily drive it.

mitsuturbo

The transmissions seem to do best with the mitsubishi 75w90 fluid. I would advise getting this direct from the dealership. Redline shockproof seems to do really well in the rear diff, and some people run it in the transfer case as well. As for engine oil, that's anybody's guess. I have personally preferred Castrol 5w50 for many years, but may actually switch to Rotella 15w40. The Castrol is very good at keeping lifters quiet, however. Use whatever coolant you like, after flushing everything completely. I prefer standard ethylene glycol (green) rather than Dex-cool or any other such variant (usually pink/yellow/orange). DO NOT use DOT 5 brake fluid. A DOT 4 fluid with a high boiling point is probably best, unless you go for some fancy schmancy "racing" brake fluid. Dexron power steering fluid is recommended and i dont know of anything that "works better" or should be used as an alternative.

When assembling things, I "ONLY" use grey permatex. This goes for transmissions, oil pans, water pump, water neck, oil pump... anywhere that has a paper gasket or no gasket gets a thin coat of Ultra Grey on each mating surface. This is the same thing the dealership hands out to techs, and it works best, hands down.

For the turbo to manifold bolts, o2 housing, or any other exhaust related pieces, i use copper anti seize on all the bolts and nuts. I would highly recommend you do this as well.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Just my opinion, but

Rotella 15w40- engine oil
Motul- transmission oil
Redline Heavy Shockproof- Tcase
BG Ultra guard- rear differential

Street Surgeon

My vehicle uses:

Engine Oil: Brad Penn 20w50
Engine Oil (break-in): Brad Penn SAE 30 break-in oil
Transmission: Motul Gear 300 or Redline MT-90 (for the first two quarts) and then top off the rest with Redline lightweight shockproof
Transfer Case: Redline Heavyweight shockproof
Rear Diff: Redline Heavyweight shockproof

Toyota FIPG for the oil pan
Threebond grey for anything else that needs to be sealed up (trans, coolant, whatever)
Turbo/O2/Hot stuff gets Loctite Heavy Duty Anti-Seize P/N 51609

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I'm not a fan of shockproof in the trans unless you're using it as a bandaid. It's not rated for our gearboxes and supposedly can cause bad things, YMMV. I'm running MT90/MTL mix in mine, I know that turbowop swears by NEO RHD which is supposed to be excellent. I do think heavyweight in the rear diff & t-case is a good bit of insurance especially if you're making power.

With coolant, don't use tap water. Use distilled only, a bottle of water wetter and then mix in the appropriate amount of coolant to handle any freezing temps your car might encounter. I don't go super crazy with it because it doesn't get that cold here. If it got to -20 or -30 I'd definitely reconsider that, but I'd probably run a summer and winter mix at that point as well.

For brake fluid I'm probably going to switch the the ATE Super Blue, (they actually make two different colors) so that I can verify when I've got a complete flush of the system with new fluid, which is the biggest benefit to the dyed stuff. mitsuturbo is right, don't run DOT5, though 5.1 is ok, just very expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, with a stock motor I like 5w40 rotella synthetic in the winter and 15w40 in the summer time to keep things a bit quieter and such. If you have a built engine you should be running a weight appropriate for your clearances. I hate pennzoil & quaker state because they're sh*t, use a good filter and visit bobistheoilguy.com for way too much information about fluids & filters.

Street Surgeon

Whoops, trying to edit a post up in this mug! Go ahead and delete this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts