The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1968/2000 starter grind

vr4bobo

I have a horrid starter grind when starting my car just replaced the flywheel new clutch the starter is just bearly catching the flywheel it is the correct flywheel has 106 teeth have the correct starter its brand new and ive verified its the correct one did research and the tranny is stock and has not been replaced i really dont want to pull the tranny to check the starter plate to see if it is correct ive read starters are different and that the auto one extends out a little further is this correct? any suggestions?

James

Period (noun)- a punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence or abbreviation.

I'm not getting a headache trying to read that again.

vr4bobo

I apologize. I was extremely tired when I posted this. I was unaware I was being graded on punctuation and grammar
thank you for bringing this to my attention.
What I was trying to say is that I'm at a loss without pulling the trans again to inspect the starter plate to see if it's correct.
Trying to find out if there is really a difference between the auto/manual starters,and whether or not this could solve my grinding problem

James

I know it sounds stupid but have you just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the starter

vr4bobo

yes I have several times with my old starter and a brand new one same problem with both
It is in all the way and seated thank you for the reply

James

Have you tested the starter outside of the car to make sure it's working properly

vr4bobo

yes I have, it works perfectly
When I bought the car the previous owner claimed the eng was a j spec shipped motor with approx.70/80k on it .
I fear that the j spec engine had an auto and they left the starter plate in there
I bought the car with the understanding that the flywheel was garbage. I did not inspect it, was just excited to have a gvr4 again
after buying and installing the new lightened flywheel and 6 puck clutch the problem persisted.
So I bought and Installed the new starter with no change. The old flywheel and starter show a little wear but not too bad

James

Seems like you can't do much more aside from pulling it apart and seeing what's wrong Internally. I mean it's not a real complicated system so it should be easy to spot what's wrong when you start pulling it apart.

strokin4dr

Stock flywheel? Ring gear teeth in good shape and gear positioned correctly??

vr4bobo

the flywheel is aftermarket, but is new. I'm not sure what you mean by positioned correctly, it only fits one way
it's facing the correct way and is torqued tight with the pin lined up. I don't believe the femlywheel could be the problem. Can anybody please take me to school on the difference in staters

vr4bobo

The flywheel is aftermarket but new. I don't know what you mean by positioned correctly it only fits one way.
It is facing correctly and is torqued tight with the pin lined up.
can someone please take me to school on the differences in starters fwd/awd/awd auto thanks

gmp

I had a problem like this on a 2g tranny. So the casting on the starter can be different thickness for some reason. An easy way to check is pull yours and go to the parts store and take a look at what they have on the shelf.Mine was shorter then the one they had so it would just barely kiss the flywheel. You can measure from the face of the starter out towards the gear. If that's clear? Or in other words measure the distance of the end that goes into the tranny and partys with the flywheel. If not that check the starter gear I know they can wear maybe replacing it will be in order..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts