The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ever see cam shaft caps that look like this?

alansupra94

Anyone ever see caps that look like this? They came with my built head....look extremely strange.

IMG_20130807_193748_zps78a2be7e.jpg

EMX5636

I'm not sure what looks strange? I think most 4G63 caps look like that. The numbering is for the order.

holeshotmoe

Mine, from 90-92 mitsu cars have all had additional raised markings like below. Maybe yours are revised, hyundai or 7-bolt variants:

alansupra94

So I basically answered my own question by looking at the head. It has a marking on it for "6" so it is a 1.6 head sporting 1G intake and exhaust ports.

That means I have a 43cc head, bumping my 8.5:1 compression ratio up to around 9:1. Apparently this head also flows really well...without the extra porting and polishing, 1mm oversized SS valves and crower titanium retainers, springs and steel locks.

EMX5636

Ah, I missed those arrows. I used to have one of those 1.6L heads laying around a few years back.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Head will have a "16" visible on the passenger side, if it's a Mitsu 4g61/t head. The cam cap looks nothing like factory caps I have every seen on a Mitsu, nor any cap I have ever seen pictured on any forum. My question would be why another cap is being used, if this is the case, because you can't machine that area on the head for a myriad of reasons, from what I know.
If it was a 43cc head, it will have small intake and exhaust ports. Rare head combinations for the 4g61 in the Asian/NZ/AUS areas, have the larger exhaust ports but small intake runners. 4g67 "18" labelled heads came with larger 1G sized exhaust ports and larger intake runners, but with the 43cc small combustion chambers, and were equipped stock on some 4g61/t motors.

It has been a few years since I collected and correlated this information, but to the best of my abilities this is where the cylinder head differences stand:
click

Last edited:

alansupra94

Yeah it has the 1.6. I am also definitely sure these aren't small ports, they port matched to both my Magnus 1G Intake and 2G exhaust manifold (which was even ported out too). Every 1.6 head I have read online has 43cc combustion chambers. Honestly isn't that big of a deal. 9:1 or 8.5:1 is good enough for me.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a 1.6 large port head on 828/1000.

G

Staff member
They are probably aftermarket.

BogusSVO

That is a semi-common cap, commonly found on the Kia and Huyndai 4g clone heads.

Post a few pics of the head casting, that may help in the ID of the core.

Best thing to do is have a combustion chamber CC'ed. Otherwise it is all a guess.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting iceman69510:
I have a 1.6 large port head on 828/1000.

Large port heads were common on face lift CB Lancer's (later 3G model Mirage), so we heard about guys in AUS and NZ getting them, and lots of guys in the Caribbean due to the JDM nature of their parts being shipping in. It's the 4g67 head IIRC that seems to make it's way around in small 43cc CC, with larger runners in/out.
Elantra 92-95 had the 4g67 motor/head combination.

OP:
That being said, I would want to see a picture of the cylinder head that the grey cap came from, and the markings on the thermostat side of the head.

Any chance of getting those pics OP??

Last edited:

alansupra94

Whoa, just found this thread and sorry to bump from the dead. I will see if I can find some and take some pictures for you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned