The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help: blown motor

Hi all
I was wondering if people on here have info and suggestion in regard to this topic.
I picked up a cheap Galant vr4. I did the usual checks and done a compression test b4 I bought it. All cylinders were in the range of 145-150.
Previous owner recently had motor rebuilt with ebay parts. I could not pick a single thing wrong with it apart from paint fading.
Anyways, motor blew after 10 days. I meant blew with sparks, fire and metal pieces shooting out. Got it towed home the next day and notice a 20cm hole just underneath exhaust manifold. 1 rod came out whilst the other was sticking in the hole. I'm assuming my bottom end is completely gone and cannot be save.

What are my alternative? I don't want to waste $ on this car as it was going to be a run around daily.
I would rather buy another cheap/reliable vr4 motor which would directly bolt on.
- A friend of mine offered an evo1-3 motor, but I would have to find/ fabricate different mounts.
- someone told me a Hyundai Sonata or non turbo Galant 4g63 would fit. What other cars can I use?
- I thought about going 2.4. There are a lot of 4g64 and G4C at the auto dismantler (I'm in Australia).

kooter

I do believe any 1g 6 bolt early 90's turbo engine should be a direct swap.
talon, eclipse, laser, and galant vr4.
A non turbo block would also work only difference being that it does not have oil squirter's in the cylinder's.

try car-parts.com

boostx

Quoting JDMEvoII:

- A friend of mine offered an evo1-3 motor, but I would have to find/ fabricate different mounts.

I thought the Evo 1-3 motor should drop right in. Why would you need to fabricate mount.
I think the Evo3 is a 7 bolt and not a 6 bolt like the VR4

Last edited:

I was told that "Evo motor wont go in a vr4 as it hasnt got the mounts for the roll stops..."

EHmotorsports

Just make sure you retain the front engine bracket when swapping engines. Any 6 bolt will fit.

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting kooter:
I do believe any 1g 6 bolt early 90's turbo engine should be a direct swap.
talon, eclipse, laser, and galant vr4.
A non turbo block would also work only difference being that it does not have oil squirter's in the cylinder's.

try car-parts.com

Many NA blocks also lack a spot for the knock sensor. be sure to look at that if you go that route.

strokin4dr

Evo 1-3 engines are like the 2g dsm engines, no provisions for bolting the front or rear mount brackets to the block. You need a 6 bolt (or early dsm 7 bolt) engine for direct fitment.
-Ryan

jnava

Staff member
If you didn't notice guys, he is an Aussie. I don't recall Australia receiving E/T/L.

Thanks all for your help. No, we Aussies don't have E/L/T, and finding another vr4 motor in good condition would be hard and pricey. I ended up buying a cheap fully reconditioned/remanufactured G4CS and will be going the 2.4l route. This g4cs has been fully machined and fitted with new piston, rings, bearing and gasket for SOHC. The motor came complete with head and gasket ready to just drop in. I want to strengthen the internals and would be swapping out the pistons, rods, bolts and studs. I intend the vr4 to be my daily driven and power target is about 350kw.

I have read up and research heaps on this build and know most of the steps required. There are only a few things that I'm unsure of:
1. Since the g4cs is reconditioned/manufactured and machined, do I have to machined and balanced the motor again?

2.Would I need to change main and rod bearing since the bearing are new? I will be changing to arp main/rod bolts as well.

3. I will be measuring the cylinder bore for new forge pistons. I want the motor to rev to about 7500-8000rpm and to be able to use as a daily. What compression ratio will i need? Which pistons do you guys recommend? Is there any advantages of running longer rods?

4. Wrist pin location- do I choose stroker or non stroker?

5. Which head gasket to get? 4g63 or 4g64?

If you can supply part number for the items it would be a great help.
Once again, thanks for all the help and feedback.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts