The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

major oil leaks and consumption

galant651

ive been having some pretty major oil leaks and oil consumption, i plan on pulling the engine and trans in a couple weeks and going through and resealing everything. my big question is does anybody know any good full reseal kits? i found one on ebay from muzimoauto at a good price, but i want some quality seals that are a reasonable price. any suggestions would be great. thanks in advance.

transparentdsm

i use the nippon racing gasket kit from ebay. its cheap and good. comes with a MLS head gasket too. just make sure you use a manual and also vfaq. there are some things you want to use rvt for and you need to make sure you torque everything properly. also you may want to do a compression test first and maybe look into where the oil is leaking from. this is a chance that the consumption is from a blown turbo. no reason to pull the motor if its a simple fix. it sounds like your trying to budget yourself and id hate for you to pull the motor for no real reason.

galant651

yeah. good points. i know its not the turbo though. it has a holset hx35w and i just replaced the cartridge. im pretty sure its leaking from the rear main seal, and the front timing cover and the gasket for the oil filter housing. and i just figured if i have to do those i might as well pull it all apart and do it all, plus it will be nice to check everything and know the condition of everything.

galant651

and the mizumoauto kit is suppose to be a performance kit with a MLS gasket along with about every single gasket and seal. but ill have to check out the nippon racing one.

tektic

Here Is a Cometic bottom end kit
$56 + $11 shipping for name brand isn't bad.
web page
Think I might order one for my spare block.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Or you can use a combination of online coupons to get around 35% off advanced auto gasket set (Felpro).

nsin

I have the problem, oil leak by belts. Is it worth repairing at 165xxx miles? or rebuild/replace..

just find out were the oil is coming from, could be valve cover to oil pump seal. while you are there might as well replace timing components too

galant651

i have already done timing belt and water pump and all that fun stuff probably only 2000 miles ago. if that.
im just getting so sick of it leaking im ready to pull it out and redo everything cause the guy who did it before obviously didnt do a good job. its only suppose to have 7k on a full rebuild.

transparentdsm

if it was just rebuilt you need to find out where the oil is coming from, because rebuilding it with gaskets isn't going to help if its a cracked head or block or in most cases the guy didnt tighten everything to spec and a bunch of bolts backed out and all you need to do is tighten everything to spec.

galant651

yeah. i just dont really believe everything he told me. so far half of what he told me was a lie so i dont really know if it has been rebuilt or not. thats the main reason why i want to pull it and tear it all down, so that i know personally that everything is good.

kama1

Tightening to spec was always me and my dads concern.
Oh and never use the paper gasket or whatever it is on the oilpan,all of my 6gs had it before i got my hands on them.

Edited

Last edited:

kama1

Sorry i meant the gasket(paper or whatever its made of).minor lapse.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Do you blow large puffs of oil taking off from a light? Oil consumption is likely due to valve steam seals. If its not coming out the tail pipe, then it could just be valve cover, spark plug seals (comes with a valve cover kit), oil pan, oil return line (turbo or oil pan side). Those might not be the only places oil leaks, but they are the most common.

galant651

no smoke. i get a little bit when it runs rich and im into higher boost but nothing excessive. im pretty sure its all from the rear main and the front cover.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned