The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Your Bad VR4 Story?

BpuVR4

Just wanted to hear some of your horror stories w your VR4's. My current ownership of 957 has been better than with 555 and 372, I've had my just shoot me moments. One thing I like about forums is reading what others have found to be the biggest pain in the butts to repair, so I can be mentally/emotionally ready when it comes to it. I'm also a magnet for bad mechanics.

1. I had traded a perfectly good near stock 372/2k for 555/2k because 555 was set up w basic upgrades ie Evo 3 16G, 272's etc that I wanted. Trade happened at a now defunct "tuner" shop that an acquaintance worked at, near One Six Motorsports in Arl Hts, IL. 2nd night that I had 555, timing belt skipped a tooth and that was all she wrote. Said acquaintance agreed to take care of it at the shop, I sourced a bottom end for them. They dragged their feet- what was promised a week turnaround ended being a month later- with the shop closing with my car still inside. Filed police report, ended up getting my car out of there 3 weeks later. Acquaintance agreed to put my motor together for me at my place, but there was also the fact that I went to his house to talk him out of off'ing himself- he was so depressed about the whole thing.

2. Had a super hectic Saturday filled w taking someone to shop for cars because her mom asked me to, along with the fact that I was heading up a moving party to help my pastor move into their new home (painting included). Clutch was fine when we started car shopping, then it's like someone accelerated film...was totally burned up within 30miles, couldn't even move it an inch. Didn't have time to deal with it- also only had the car 4months at that point. I had some money back then, so I could afford to just toss it to a shop- which is exactly what I did given the day. Friend recommended a shop, and I sent it there w an ACT 2600 package. Repair took full 3 days, heard mention that it was super hard...which is the first thing that raised my eyebrow, but whatever. Got it back, within 5 days later, driving down the road, falls out of gear, and the only gear i can use is 1st, but also can't pull it out of gear. I was in actually near the shop so I took it there, guy said he had nothing to do with it and didn't want to touch it.

While I was checking out my car with my friend, found out I couldn't even press down on the clutch to keep it out of gear, almost ran him over and also an telephone pole. Once you started the car, it jumped forward.
Long story short, I ended up sourcing a JDM switchable trans for pretty cheap, had another shop put it in. Guy tells me there was zero fluid in the old trans. Original mechanic wouldn't even throw away the old trans for me.

alansupra94

My 4/1000 has been quite the disaster from the get go. Got the car and it was running a little sloppy. Got it home and before I could tune it, it blew a hole through the block. Owner had a DSMLink V2.5 running 880cc injectors with stock deadtimes and a crap map. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I rebuilt another engine using the parts I had in the garage and it ran great for 8000 miles until it spun a rod. Turns out the OFH I had was ported WAY too much and the spring was cut pretty badly and it was not getting enough oil pressure. Bought another engine from some kid on CL from CT that said it was a 2.3L motor. Took his word for it (stupid I know), got it home and it was a stock motor (for $400, I really didn't get screw). Said f*** it (had good compression), tossed it just to get her running and it now won't start after less than 5 miles (I believe its a lifter).

Now, I am putting together a built engine. Machine shop local to me is measuring/machining everything (and I will be checking with my micrometers). So far so good. Now I know the 4G63 well enough to avoid these mistakes.

Last edited:

veganbutcher

I've had 1408/2000 for 9 months now, the first two months were smooth sailing. Everything worked as it should, no real issues that couldn't be fixed easily. However ever since then it has been one thing after another, first the ECU goes, then a brake line blows up on me, control arms start swaying, valve cover cracked, now I'm dealing with transmission issues.

I refuse to give up the car, I'm chasing the dragon here.

BpuVR4

^ha i always liked that term "chasing the dragon"...hope that brake line blowing didnt cause any serious damage.

cheekychimp

I've never really had too many things happen that I could blame on the car. Most issues were caused by me doing things that were stupid or modifying parts that weren't designed for a VR4. You take responsibility into your own hands when you do stuff like that.

Shops, mechanics and other road users ... now that's another story!

8G VR4 bought brand new left at the shop to diagnose a transmission problem whilst I was away in the UK. One of the employees has a birthday, takes my car out for the night and wraps it around a lamp post after wiping out at XXX km/h? The kid missed killing himself by literally inches. The car was dead at the scene.

6G VR4 (pictures in my current build thread). Previous mechanic did an awesome job of pulling it apart then basically told me he lost half the parts whilst moving shop and couldn't figure out how to put the rest of it back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2nd 8G VR4 bought to replace the one above, guy coming in the opposite direction in a heavy goods vehicle, just turns across the road in front of me, I go under the side of his truck and he basically drove over the hood. Gave up on 8Gs after that and bought a Civic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Whilst I'm trying to figure out how to get the 6G back together I see another bone stock 6G VR4 and snap that up to drive (having got bored of the Civic). Spend probably $1500-USD getting all the wrinkles ironed out so that it runs really nice. Within a month a taxi driver decides to side swipe me taking a late exit off the highway. This time with the reflexes of a cat I respond and swerve around and then stop about one hundred yards down the road to check the car and give the driver a piece of my mind; bad idea. The taxi driver decides to take that exact moment to discuss the matter with his passenger ... in the rear seat. So whilst (presumably) he was looking behind himself, he drove into the back of my car at between 50-70 km/h ... and another one bites the dust.

I'm kind of surprised I'm even still on this forum.

kama1

Loosing key parts of my engine thru so called friends and being screwed over money and parts.
I seemed to be a magnet for these the past few years.

But as always theres a good side to all these horror stories.
I personally havent driven my vr4 or any other in the past few years but i am enjoying myself.
All the help and support from galantvr4.org,mymitsuph, and my friends here and abroad make me forget these bad things.

transparentdsm

Quoting cheekychimp:
I've never really had too many things happen that I could blame on the car. Most issues were caused by me doing things that were stupid or modifying parts that weren't designed for a VR4. You take responsibility into your own hands when you do stuff like that.

this is what i was gonna say, if you check the car over properlly when you first buy it then you'll know what the last owner did wrong. for example i have 3 vr4's and they all turn on and can be driven.
However,

it took me about a year to get 1365 to the point where i will drive it any day and anywhere without question, not to mention all the blood and time ive put into it.

1078 is still on my patio landing getting the rest of the things she needed from when i picked her up, it was an electrical nightmare and once i get the brakes done i have a few months of driving it close to my house so i can check out and fix any other issues.

138 start, but doesn't stay on and is the least of my worries. that car had a leaking sunroof that ruined 2 interiors. the previous leather one and it stained my evo seats that i installed( my fault i rushed into slapping the car together).

now i just take it slow and finish things as i can afford to do them 100% right so i dont have to go back and redo it. its a long process, but very worth it.

matt92vr4

Congrats on helping your acquaintance not kill himself. That's all win right there!

I got reamed by a mechanic and the Mitsu dealer in 1996 with my first vr4. After that I decided I either need to do all of the work myself or drive Hondas. I have not spent a dime on labor since. Now I just assume that my engine is going to blow up everytime I drive a Mitsu. Then when/if I arrive to my destination it's like throwing a party in my head.

If it blows up then I get to rebuild it better than before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way is win/win for me!

Over the last 17 years of owning AWD turbo Mitsus, I'm pretty sure I've broken every movable part...multiple times. I could go on and on about the problems, but I gotta go back to work. They never cease to put a smile on my face though (ultimately).

ktmrider

Only time a VR4 scared me was due to a failed big box parts store alternator. Happened to be with the family tho and in BFE southern CO, Trinidad to be exact.

Got the warning signs 30 miles outside Trinidad. Pulled off the highway and literally coasted into a Toyota dealership. Next to the dealer was a Wallymart and Checker Auto. Toyota guys were willing to swap the alternator, found a TEL one in stock at Checker. Two hours later and after some shopping at Walmart we were on our way. Dealer only charged $100 or one hour labor, very impressive.

Oh and the Checker alternator did get us back to NM and held for another 6 months. Got it rebuilt at a local shop ( failed Chinabay VR as usual ) and it's still humming.

MellowVR4

My very first vr4 i bought, I bought of some guy and he didnt tell me about a oil leak. Plus i was a super Newb at the time. Anyway drove it for 3 days and then boom, the crankshaft literally twisted in two pieces, i was so pissed and felt hopeless. That car was just a nigtmare after that. But yeah 3 days and BAM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thats why she's not with us anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

mikus

---relatively speaking--- I've had very good luck and no really bad experiences across DD'ing three vr4's across 4-5 years. Never even pulled a head off a 4G63.
img.php

Last edited:

MellowVR4

You lucky dog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BpuVR4

Quoting mikus:
---relatively speaking--- I've had very good luck and no really bad experiences across DD'ing three vr4's across 4-5 years. Never even pulled a head off a 4G63.
img.php

i say this with all seriousness.....i want to be like you.

BpuVR4

Quoting ktmrider:
Only time a VR4 scared me was due to a failed big box parts store alternator. Happened to be with the family tho and in BFE southern CO, Trinidad to be exact.

Got the warning signs 30 miles outside Trinidad. Pulled off the highway and literally coasted into a Toyota dealership. Next to the dealer was a Wallymart and Checker Auto. Toyota guys were willing to swap the alternator, found a TEL one in stock at Checker. Two hours later and after some shopping at Walmart we were on our way. Dealer only charged $100 or one hour labor, very impressive.

Oh and the Checker alternator did get us back to NM and held for another 6 months. Got it rebuilt at a local shop ( failed Chinabay VR as usual ) and it's still humming.

$100 from dealer??? sounds like a twilight zone ep.

ktmrider

Quoting BpuVR4:
$100 from dealer??? sounds like a twilight zone ep.

Big time! I even told them it was too little, still stuck to the $100.

They knew we weren't local ( so likley no follow up sales ) and 120 miles from out destination of CSprings. Needless to say I wrote a very nice letter to corporate and dealer owner.

presterone

Timing belt snapped one month after buying 702

Got a new head on it and I've been fixing coolant leaks, oil leaks and even fuel for the last five thousand miles

jnava

Staff member
I personally haven't had bad experiences with my gvr4. I will say that I've had learning experiences and that's been awesome. It's relative to the person since cars aren't actually bad, just bad decisions. I think the only car capable of being bad are the 666 cars.

galant651

owned my gvr4 #651/2000 for about a week or two, a week ago i replaced the transmission, day i bought it the turbo went out, after the tranny it had a intake leak, and an exhaust leak, took apart the ehaust and one of the exhaust bolts for the head was drilled into the coolant port which i havent figured out what to do yet and 3 of the 4 exhuast bolts broke into the turbo, so i started taking apart the turbo and 4 of the 6 exhuast housing bolts broke and havent had any time to drill them out so my car has been out of comission about as long as ive been driving it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Today. Head gasket blew on my DD. I think it was slightly breached because I did not replace a wonky thermostat fast enough. Now it went all the way.

But that is my fault, not the car's.

Last edited:

donkeylips

I'm currently DDing 924 and have DDed many DSMs and Galants. Never broke a timing belt or had any sort of engine failure.
A transmission did blow up on the highway one time though.
And I had a clutch fall apart (last year).
And I had an oil pressure gauge sending unit break off in the housing and dump all of my oil out (recently).
And I have had a '90 TEL oil cooler dump all of my oil out (recently).
I've never had a working ISC - and damaged a couple of ECUs before figuring it out.
I've gone through countless (non-eprom) ECUs due to failure to replace the caps, and the resulting cap failure.
Broken some shift linkages.
And tons of other broken parts but I can't complain at all.
All of my real problems are due to rust.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts