The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AWD not working?

My AWD is behaving in a manner that I wouldn't expect.

The wheels are off of the car, and it is completely up in the air supported by jackstands.

When I started off in first gear, only the right front axle would turn along with the left rear axle.

The ABS light then came on.

I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and tapped the right rear rotor edge with a mallet to free it up.

Then both rears would turn but not the left front.

I shut the car off and wiggled the left front axle which seemed to be a bit stuck like the right rear was.

The left front is kind of "pulsing" but not moving nearly as quick as the other wheels at all.

The ABS light came on quickly again.

I could have sworn that all 4 moved just fine last time I did this when I put the vehicle on jackstands about 3 months ago.

Rear is a 3 bolt LSD.

It has been raining alot, the rotors and the rotors are rusty as heck since my carport leaks.

Thanks

turbowop

With the front diff being open, it's somewhat expected that only one side will spin. All the power will go to the side that has the least amount of resistance. And with a rear LSD, both should spin. Sounds normal to me. One front, and both rears.

Thanks, I have much to learn when it comes to the drivetrain. I get it....a few months ago the left front was probably moving and I didn't bother to check the right front cause I thought I was so cool lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned