The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Suspension woes

James

I'm in need of a new suspension setup. I'm not looking for anything special so I was going to go with simple AGX adjustables and decent springs. But it looks like the AGXs are $150+ a piece... So $600 before shipping and before springs??? Seems like it would close to coilover prices before its all said and done.

Or am I just missing something.

LIV4PSI

That is the price for the fronts. Rears are much cheaper. You should be able to buy a full set for under $400. I found a set for $419 without really lookin around. I wouldn't buy cheap coilovers, and for a DD expensive coilovers are a waste

James

Ok $400 is closer to what I expected. I guess my current spring setup is fine for now. 1g springs in the front and some off brand coilover sleeves in the back. (Previous owners setup)

SouthCaliVR4

try buy brakes dot com. they had a really good price when I got mine & they even did a warranty exchange on one for me that I admitted to messing up, without me asking them to. I broke the threaded part using an impact, do not use an impact on these!!! As I recall my original posting on that event made the new (at the time) sexual undertones thread back when my screen name was Islandvr4.

Last edited:

gvr41190

The cheapest that I've found is here on Parts Geek - KYB AGX on Parts Geek. $105.85 for the fronts and $55.85 for the rears.

These are listed for an Eagle 2000 GTX, but I'm pretty sure that they're the same for a GVR4.

James

If that's true I'll order them!

Anyone that can confirm eagle 2000gtx and vr4 parts are the same??

turbofonz

Buy a used Evo setup.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have KYB GR2s with 1g springs (front shortened) all around on my daily, and while not the stiffest, it is a good street ride/handling compromise.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Eagle 2000 GTX was available in FWD, so considering most rear struts are different in that regard, I would suggest that you find an AWD option.
If you have a FWD Galant then I guess not as much of an issue.

prove_it

Do you what suspension for cruising, racing, or daily driving?

LIV4PSI

It's his daily

transparentdsm

do some searching james, when it comes time for me to upgrade mine im putting an evo setup in there, costs about as much as the kyb and the ride quality is really amazing. i had the evo setup on 1375 and now that i look back i wish i had kept them for 138 instead of the kyb and h&r setup thats on there now.

James

If I can find a Evo setup that's already modified to bolt on I'd pick it up. I'm not a fan of modifying my suspension parts all willy nilly.

SleepinGVR4

There is nothing about modifying the EVO suspension that I would call "willy nilly."

I have AGX's and H&R springs... hate it.

The next thing I do will be an Evo suspension.

Vr4junkie

You could ask every Evo you run into and ask if they still got there stock suspension I got mine for free from a guy I meet at a race track told him I needed it for a Galant VR4 told me since it's for the granddaddy of Evo's I could have it.

Tre3zy

ran evo suspension for 2 years... loved it... it was on the tein lowering springs it was firm but not too harsh... adsorbs every bump

rdomeck

Just buy some Ohlins and be done...... They are nice shocks and I really like them, but I paid more for them than I did my car. You should find some stock Evo take offs. They are not hard to modify. Drill six holes in your front shock towers and make a two spacers. Rear bolt on at the top in the stock holes and depending on how much you would do yourself the bottom of the rears is the most work and it's not hard at all. Opens your options up a bunch.

I know some people have ok luck with KYB's, but my opinion of them is very low and not just for our cars. They have been sh*t shocks for years. Koni's are nice. Bilstein's are nice to but they don't have a knob.

James

Well like I said if i can come across some already modified Evo parts ill gladly pick them up for a fair price. But modifying suspension parts to work on things they don't belong just isn't something I trust myself with at this time.

If I found a set of ohlin$ for 75% off... I still probably couldn't afford them.

Tre3zy

^there are a few guys here that road raced this car with the modified evo suspension and didnt have any problems with it... and even if you go with top dollar ohlins suspension your still gonna have to modify it since its originally an evo suspension

James

Like I said I have no problem running an Evo suspension. I'm just not modifying it myself. I would rather someone who has done it before/knows what they are doing does it. I do have to tote my daughter around in the car and don't want to screw with something in the suspension that I don't know anything about.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts