The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So I want to Own a Gallant VR-4

I am loking to buy a Galant VR-4, I have liked this car for a long time, well now I need a car that will fit a car seat and I wont sell my hatchback. I dont like virtually any 4 door cars, so this decision was not made lightly, I am ready for extreme maintenance, my car is only 10 years old and already requires it, so fixing cars is nothing new and nothing im afraid of, I am also a pretty good mechanic, its what I pretty much do, I repair cars motorcycles and oddly vintage home electronics. so I am at least mostly aware of what I am getting into.

I decided on the Galant VR-4 on numerous factors. mainly I used to drive an an Evolution VIII, wasnt mine, unfortunately, but I had the extended opportunity to drive one when they were first brought over here for several monthes. I loved that car, It was one of the best cars I have ever driven. I also have a good bit of experience with the eagle talon TSI/eclipse GSX, which from my reading are pretty similar, and both cars I love. long story short you may ask "well why dont I just buy an Evo"? the reason is that I do not finance cars. period, never have, never will, it just isnt going to happen, if i had the best credit ever, I still would never consider financing a car. my whole life I have been taught "if you dont hold the title, you dont have a car" and I do not have a $15,000 budget.

so I am planning to buy a Galant VR-4 in the next few monthes, My wife has also turned on to the idea, we both love Unique cars, neither of us ever talk about buying or owning your every day chevy cobalt, we are spo9rts car people, her last car was a 1978 datsun with a turbo L28ET. My current car is the Rare 2002 Honda Civic SI EP3, which might I add is a maintenance whore from hell.

another thing that has made me decide on a Galant VR-4 is their lack of air bags, which i have had very bad experience with in the past, I really dont like or trust air bags, and I have yet to see a single one personally go off in a reasonable set of circumstances, though I see them fail to activate ALL THE TIME in accidents that would have well needed it.

this is one of basically 4 cars that were under serious discussion between me and my wife, she direly wanted an Evo VIII, but we cant afford it for a few more years. the next two cars we considered for a while each and neither of them spiked our interest to the level of the Galant. the first is the Toyota Altezza, or Lexus IS-300 in the US, I decided againse it because I dont want basically everything it has, the 2JZ is too big and expensive, If i could get a real Altezza, that would have made my decision a bit harder, but we here in the US, can not. the other car which we considered more seriously was a 1990 Honda Civic Wagovan or Honda shuttle. Well after about a week of thinking about it I remembered, I remembered the Galant VR-4, after I brought this up to the wife, we were both in love with the car, she loves the way they look and the fact that they are the ultimate sleeper, I love that they are a piece of history, and a 4 door.

long story short I thought I would Introduce myself as I will hopefully be becoming a new Galant VR-4 owner, and a member of your elite group of owners of this really great rare car with so much potential.

Derek.

EHmotorsports

Welcome to the forums. If you find one just be prepared to replace almost everything due to the lack of maintenence the past owners have shown. And you should be fine. There are plenty of donar cars to provide engines, transmissions and rear ends from DSM's.

JCorbo25

If you want to DD one, I'd recommend a low level of mods. The more mods, the more on top of maintenance and tuning you need to be.

Best of luck on your hunt!

haha, I am actually looking forward to doing all the maintainence on the car, hopefully replace as much as I can as far as bushings, shocks, rod ends, ball joints, cv boots, all the good rubber stuff!!!.

I have already had to do this on my 2002 civic, which is only 10 years old, literally every freakin bushing, shock, or anything else in the suspension has gone already. sucks. granted mine has over 200k on it but still.

good thing is that you can replace stuff on the car with better things like poly bushings and better shocks with a lifetime warranty.

tyeler18

My suggestion would be to look on the New mexico craigslist for them. I've been eyeing the phoenix craigslist for a while looking for another good one and there's only been 1-2 on there. I paid 2k for my current GVR4 which is still bone stock. Makes for a great DD when the talon is being the typical broken race car.

ktmrider

Quoting tyeler18:
My suggestion would be to look on the New mexico craigslist for them. I've been eyeing the phoenix craigslist for a while looking for another good one and there's only been 1-2 on there. I paid 2k for my current GVR4 which is still bone stock. Makes for a great DD when the talon is being the typical broken race car. .

Funny you mention NM, there could be 2 going up FS in the next few months.

I might be interested in one of those if you want them to go to good owners, how stock are they?

ktmrider

^^ Either would be relatively stock.

I'm contemplating selling 464/1000 for the non-sunroof model here. I'm planning to have 464 in PHX the week of Feb 25th, you're welcome to meet up and check it out.

Hey, that would be awesome man, I would love to,

what brings you out to phoenix?

ktmrider

^^ Work. Go quite a bit plus I'm dragging a 1g trans back to NM for a buddy thus the drive instead of flying.

DR1665

LOL. 464 takes a year-long vacation in ABQ.

ktmrider

Quoting DR1665:

With the coilovers installed I whack my head on the roof at least once every trip. Otherwise I'm in love!

Still wondering what the easiest way to do things, build the UNK shell here in ABQ, swap from 464 to UNK, or convert 464 to non-sunroof. Ugh.

ktmrider

Quoting DR1665:

With the coilovers installed I whack my head on the roof at least once every trip. Otherwise I'm in love!

Still wondering what the easiest way to do things, build the UNK shell here in ABQ, swap from 464 to UNK, or convert 464 to non-sunroof. Ugh.

transparentdsm

welcome to the board and best of luck on your search. look through the cars for sale section, go back a few pages because sometimes the car doesn't sell and people still have them.

DR1665

Quoting ktmrider:

I forgot how tall you are. Good point. Another option: different springs? I know a guy.

Non-sunroof car up there is an unknown quantity. 464 is a twice-salveaged, roller-painted, post-apocalyptic GVR4 in the making. It's nice enough to be enjoyable as a daily while still rough enough you don't have to obsess about it like you would with a pristine specimen, ya know? Easier to convert to non-sunroof than to swap all your known-good bits to a new shell imo.

In fact, I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove the roof skin. You have to remove pretty much the entire interior behind the front seats to get the sunroof out, but still easier than swapping drivelines and fluids and all that. There's gotta be a way to glue in a blanking panel. 195 is going to get such a contraption, though I'll install from above, now that I can hide it under my crazy awesome roof scoop.

idreamidrive

Wow! I am in the same position you are in except I WANT to get rid of my civic. I want four doors for the baby seat also.

ktmrider

Quoting DR1665:
Non-sunroof car up there is an unknown quantity. 464 is a twice-salveaged, roller-painted, post-apocalyptic GVR4 in the making. It's nice enough to be enjoyable as a daily while still rough enough you don't have to obsess about it like you would with a pristine specimen, ya know? Easier to convert to non-sunroof than to swap all your known-good bits to a new shell imo.

In fact, I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove the roof skin. You have to remove pretty much the entire interior behind the front seats to get the sunroof out, but still easier than swapping drivelines and fluids and all that. There's gotta be a way to glue in a blanking panel. 195 is going to get such a contraption, though I'll install from above, now that I can hide it under my crazy awesome roof scoop.

This is what most peeps suggest. Factor in the functional AC and CC, should be a no-brainer. I can source a non-sunroof headliner from yard or better yet make a RT to Toybreaker land.

On the Glendale link I forgot about 680, ie velour interior GVR4! Remember it in CA last time. $2500 for a "rolling" shell still seems a tad high, $6500 for non-running is just loco. Probably why it isn't listed on this board LOL.

OP, talk to snailspool here. He owns UNK shell and 1746, either or both of which will come up FS in the near future.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts