The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New guy looking for some Help!

So, I recently have put up my 97' Evo IV for sale and so far it has gotten lots of attention (why wouldn't it?) Anyways, I'm looking to move onto a Galant Super VR-4 if I can manage to find one in the Japanese Auctions.. I just need some help about which year is the best to buy. I quite like the 8g (if thats what the 97-2000 is called) And I know there's very few Super Vr-4's available. If anyone can chime in and give me some pointers about this version/year regarding common issues, best mods to do or what to replace/upgrade which part to the next year because of some known issue in the earlier year etc... I'm still rather shocked that the Super Vr-4 only has 271Hp, unless I am incorrect? Being that its a 2.5 with TT, I'd expect it to be fairly well tuned for much more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fuel

Hey welcome here but you've got the wrong forum. This is a primarily US-based forum dedicated to the 6th generation Galant VR-4 of years 1987 through 1992.

You'll find the info you're after at www.clubvr4.com and www.ozvr4.com.

But to quickly answer your question to the best of my abilities, the power depends on what year yours is (or more so if it's pre-facelift Phase I or facelift Phase II) and if it's tiptronic or manual transmission.

1996 to early 1998 pre-facelift/phase I/series 1 tiptronic models are 260hp while the manual models and facelift/phase 2/series 2 tiptronics are 276hp. The power reduction in early tiptronic models is purely a lower amount of boost - if you increase the boost the power levels will increase. Also bear in mind that while the Evo IV and 8G VR-4 are both rated at 276hp/280PS, the 2.5 V6 twin turbo provides much more torque and a smoother power delivery with a focus on low to mid-range torque rather than all out power of the 4G63.

Super VR-4 refers to a limited edition model with body coloured headlamps, addition of larger side mouldings and bumper lips as well as an interior upgrade with coloured inserts on the seats and steering wheel. I think Super VR-4s were available in facelift 1998 onwards models only.

Last edited:

Well, I will take a look at those other forums! Sorry for posting on the wrong one! :p

But thanks for all the info, I think that answered almost all of my questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
You are in Canada, so you should have bought this car:

click

This never happens, and it was LHD from the US, already imported and registered.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned